Find
Notify
Tools

ATF eForms for form 4
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
ATF rolled out their eForms for filing form 4's. I have used eForms in the past to SBR a couple lowers, but this is the first time it is available for form 4's (cans).

It crashed a couple times on rollout, but they got it up and running. (still crashes occasionally)

In December I bought two cans to take advantage of the BOGO offer from Silencerco.

Bought one from a store that refuses to use the eForms and one that used the eForms. The eForms was stupid easy. The paper method was stupid slow.

They are saying to expect eForm stamps to approve in 90 days. I assume paper submissions will still take 9-12 months.

My two "free" cans will be done through the FFL who uses the eForms. Lets see which ones show up first!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
90 days not going to happen for some time, Atf changed up things again as of last week. I bought one from Silencer Central on Dec 13th and did everything they said to do go on ATF site register get a password and a pin number gave that to SC and they sent it to ATF and now ATF says the dealer cannot send the info to them it has to be the buyer so SC says they will be calling me to set up a time so I can go on my computer and get the info to ATF the way they want it done hopefully next week. so now almost 2 months and ATF does not have anything should have done the paper thing so who knows when this will be running correctly

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I got an email from ATF yesterday that was quite nebulous and concerning.

I went to the dealer and signed in on their computer w username and pin and they submitted the form.

Instantly, I got an email from ATF stating that the form was submitted. Exactly like I did with my SBR’s. Then they send an email when it’s in process and finally, they emailed me (the maker) the tax stamp to make the SBR.

In this case I’m sure the stamp goes to the dealer since it’s on their account.

I don’t doubt that what you say is the case. It’s been a Charlie Foxtrot from the release for sure. I’m sure there are hiccups with the rollout. I guess we will see what is next.

I never believed the 90 day claim, but I do think it will make it faster. My money is still on the eForms over paper.

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a gun shop that sells lots of cans, and was told that they had a lady get an approval of the eForm in just 13 days! They said they've had several in under 2 months. That said, I'll be filing next week.

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, one of my cans bought just before eForms will sit there for a year.

Silencershop put out screenshots of approval in 7, 8, 9 to 28 days, and some longer.

I do have one, submitted via eForms on Jan 15. Waiting patiently for the call!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Got my Tax Stamp back vie eForms. 98 days total.

Looks like the system is working. Store says most are coming back in 90 or less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good running info, Wendell! Thanks.

The last 2 I got, I used the old method and it only took 5 month. The first couple cans/stamps took a year+/-.

I'm sure the new efile system will streamline the process.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am into 92 days since ATF received my e-form and so far nothing

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well just picked up my suppressor after 164 days and now you do not get a tax stamp but only a photo copy per the ATF. damn I paid 200 for that stamp and I want one not a copy

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
EFile isn’t new. They allowed eFile for an SBR for quite a while. I did mine back in 2014. You get the same thing. Just a pdf of the approved stamp.

It would be nice to get the original in the mail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
now wait time is app 210 days

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Paper forms are +/- 400 days out. I hope to see mine in March.

Instead of hiring 80,000 new armed IRS agents, maybe get another couple hundred ATF office staff to approve tax stamps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never do a paper form again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole issue gives credence to dealing with Silencercentral. Who deals with all the paperwork. Sure, you pay a bit more, but avoid all the headaches + hassles. Besides, I don't know about you, but when I have to deal with a government form, I am bound to answer something incorrectly.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
This whole issue gives credence to dealing with Silencercentral. Who deals with all the paperwork. Sure, you pay a bit more, but avoid all the headaches + hassles. Besides, I don't know about you, but when I have to deal with a government form, I am bound to answer something incorrectly.

That's who I went with for mine. I'm about 7 months in with e form. Hoping to get the email any day now.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides,
I like their payment schedule option, if needed. In most cases, you will have it paid off before you get it.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now 195 days for me. First can via eforms.

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm at 179 days on an eForm ordered in May. A paper form via Silencer Central is at 14 months but should be shipped soon as we are just awaiting approval from the local LE

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 90 day turnaround motivated me to order my first two suppressors on March 7. Still waiting for my approval at around 280 days.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Silencer Central yesterday, application still being reviewed. I am at 8 months now. Silencer Central Posted a November Update to the process, wait times unchanged from October. Still receiving applications from February/March 2022. $2200 out of my pocket and nothing to show for it. Beginning to wish I'd have never even done it.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Got my paper Form 4 from Jan 15 approved. 10.5 months. Not too bad I guess, for paper.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:. Beginning to wish I'd have never even done it.

Hopefully, you will get over that feeling soon enough.

I have 2 more I just submitted last week via eForms, and I’m done. I have every possible gun covered.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first Banish from Silencer Central at the RMEF Christmas show here in Las Vegas yesterday. Looking forward to getting it, eventually! I bought the 338 Banish that covers everything from 338 on down to 22lr. Should cover all of my needs for now.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
E form applications are taking 8 months now.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
E form applications are taking 8 months now.

Thanks for the update! Not a bad wait, considering everything! tu2

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine talked to Silencer Central the other day, now they are pushing back the "90 day" Eform time frame to 10 months.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Got my approval email yesterday. From what I’m hearing I can count on another few weeks before Silencer Central actually ships it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
E form filed on march 3, just got mine shipped on December 29th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 788:
E form filed on march 3, just got mine shipped on December 29th.

Arrived at the post office January 3.
So, 10 month time on e form 4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
E form individual, 257 days.
Larry

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
E form 268 days. I too was told 90 days. Wasn't to happy at the six-month mark. At seven I saw my federal representative, and ATF sent a form letter that said basically we are busy and we will get to it when we get to it. So it was another six weeks after that for approval. Lesson learned.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
wait until the 30 million (soon to be) felons start registering pistol braces. I’m sure the eForms and ATF agents will have no problem keeping up.

Glad all my stamps are in hand or in the works long before this move.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that coming last spring and got my SBR stamp on a E form 1 in ten days. But now that I have taken a deep drink from the NFA glass, all this secret squirrel stuff is unnecessary. Suppressors don't need to be regulated. Short barrel shotguns have been sold for the last five years or so with just a pistol grip, and blood isn't running in the streets. AR's with braces are in the same category. I can see a background check and the fingerprint dance with a photo for the purchase of a full auto. But the rest of it should be just a over the counter purchase with a wanted check.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be, but never will be, unfortunately. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Received both of my suppressors last week. Approximately 1 year from when I started the process with Silencer Central. Thankful to finally get them.