New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor alignment rods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use suppressor alignment rods/gauges?

Picked up geissele 5.56 and 7.62 alignment rods.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Looking down the bore from the chamber end for a perfectly round hole into daylight will tell you if the suppressor is aligned correctly. An off-centre hole or alignment rod just tells you you have fucked up on threading the barrel or assembling the suppressor (baffles). Don't need a rod to tell you that, your eye does it perfectly, exactly how a peep sight works.
It is not as if the rod is a tool to help perfect threading of the barrel for a suppressor. Once the barrel is threaded in the lathe, screw the suppressor on and run up the lathe, you'll soon see how good your threading was. A wobbly suppressor is start all over again time, only this time get your bore centred. Done a lot and never had an issue.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some precision rods from McMaster-Carr and cut them in half, so both myself and my buddy have a set. I have them for 4 different calibers.

Edit: The 4 rods I bought are tight tolerance tool steel rods, 36" long, they cost about $3/ea.

McMaster-Carr Part numbers
P/N 8893K191 0.2120" for .22 bore
P/N 8893K193 0.2188" for .223 bore
P/N 8893K204 0.250" for 6.5 bore
P/N 8893K219 0.2969" for .308 bore
T

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Looking down the bore from the chamber end for a perfectly round hole into daylight will tell you if the suppressor is aligned correctly. An off-centre hole or alignment rod just tells you you have fucked up on threading the barrel or assembling the suppressor (baffles). Don't need a rod to tell you that, your eye does it perfectly, exactly how a peep sight works.
It is not as if the rod is a tool to help perfect threading of the barrel for a suppressor. Once the barrel is threaded in the lathe, screw the suppressor on and run up the lathe, you'll soon see how good your threading was. A wobbly suppressor is start all over again time, only this time get your bore centred. Done a lot and never had an issue.

This does not work with ar or most military semi platform rifles. You can’t see thru receiver as easily as you can with bolt rifle.

If you have a suppressor mounting from a muzzle brake or flash hider.

For hunting rifles a direct thread is easy.

A lot of suppressors I own are set up for use with muzzle or flash hiders and cannot be directly threaded.

End cap strike are a common accordance. Talk to anyone who has used suppressors for professional use. Not hunters and target shooters.

If one is shooting semi auto rifles end cap strikes are regular occurrence. I have spoken to silencerco and other manufactures about it. Manufactures have recommended getting suppressor alignment rods to reduce the risk.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best $75 I have spent in a long time.

$75 for a stainless steel rod.

But geissele stuff is A+ grade.

I got it today and checked my two suppressed guns.

My blaser with silencerco omega 300 direct thread was perfectly aligned.

My Steyr with a t51 mount and a acc sd 762 was not perfectly aligned.

This tool is a necessary piece of equipment for anyone seriously into shooting suppressed.

A end cap strike on acc suppressor would be the end if it as acc is no longer in business. No repair would be just a paper weight.

I will be buying 5.56 and 6.5 alignment tools when they are available.

Mike