Find
Notify
Tools

When using a rifle with a suppressor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
There are apparent signs of over pressure with loads that do not do so when not using the suppressor. All I have been able to determine is that this is caused by the dwell time of the pressure rather than a higher amount of pressure.

So, are there any safety issues in doing this other than the premature loss of good brass?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a form of back pressure exists when the bullet/blast wave hits the first cone. That is what Gemtech told our PD after issues with the RRA 308's. They were sighted 2" high at 100, fit the cans, and the POI dropped 11". Velocity dropped 20-30fps. They did something my guy won't tell me, and the impact issue went away.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
There are apparent signs of over pressure with loads that do not do so when not using the suppressor. All I have been able to determine is that this is caused by the dwell time of the pressure rather than a higher amount of pressure.

So, are there any safety issues in doing this other than the premature loss of good brass?

308Sako, Can only speak to my experience with the Jackson, T8 Reflex Suppressor, made here in Scotland.
Used it on the CZ.243 and now my Sako75 7.08.No problems with pressure that I can see,although I dont load to the max.
No loss of bullet velocity,Tighter groups.less recoil, much quieter and varies no more than an 1"(low) at 100yds when zeroed with it off. To clean it spray with wd40 or Napier. The only downside is its a wee bit heavy.Providing you have the same thread it will fit multiple rifles with the correct barrel bush(1/2"unf will do up to .300 cal, larger diameter thread required for above that)You can pay more for lighter suppressors,but do they do the business?Good luck.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
11"!! Rich, sounds like you were having a very slight baffle strike!!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

That sure does sound as if something is wrong!

I see essentially no change in impact point with a 30 cal SAS titanium Arbiter 30 cal can when used with 5.56, 6,8 and .308 Win full supersonic ammunition.

I see a little with 5.56 fired through a KAC QDSS-NT4 can ... but less than an inch at 100 yards.

My barrels were carefully threaded to be concentric by a superb machinist.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I am a REALLY SUPERB machinist( and thats a fact) dancing and Have threaded many many barrels for suppressors. If I ever saw even a 2" POI shift I'd have a shit fit. I expect and usually get no POI shifts period. Yup. you see a 11 inch shift and that bullet is hitting something or the crown is damaged.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote