Find
Notify
Tools

Night time coyote rig
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Here's the new night time coyote rig. It's a homebuilt 223 Wylde with a Pulsar Thermion XG50 3-24x42 Thermal Riflescope and a Pulsar Axion XM30F - 3X thermal scanner.

Night flash isn't too bad but I think that I'm going to order a suppressor for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice set up. I have something similar with a POF Revolution .308 for pigs and a POF Renegade .223 for coyotes. A Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 shares time between the two.

I started with a Pulsar monocular, but upgraded to their XP50 bino's. What a game changer.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Do you feel the scope mount for your AR works OK, even though it doesn't have any cantilever? Usually, the AR mounts cantilever 2" forward. Would you prefer the ocular end to be further forward, or does it work OK as it is?

A Thermal is somewhat different than a typical optical scope, as you're actually looking at a display (like a TV screen), so eye box and parallax isn't an issue as much.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the non cantilever scope mounts on three different ARs, they seem to fit my face and hold perfectly. I have the soft eye cup on this one (I was shooting it during the day) so the scope looks like it's further back than it is

I have a cantilevered mount on my AR10 DPMS pattern and that works for me there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
That's the exact scope I use! Love it man.

I had it on a AR but had a chambering issue when I tried to ease the bolt forward, to keep the sound at a minimum, before a calling set. It cost me a coyote but I knew better.

Switched it onto a Howa Mini that's chambered in a 20 Practical wildcat and have never felt hampered.

Bang-flop! ...and quiet to chamber a round.

Having a choice is a good thing!

Zeke