New
Find
Notify
Tools

tested my digisight,need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got out last night to test out my digisight and the torch IA Illuminator. Conditions: No moon and mostly clear skies. I went out to what is called The New Orleans City Park. It’s a very large green space that is still being repaired since Katrina.

In open fields it was amazing!!!! A few clouds passed over you lost a little clarity but could see a long way. With a heavy wood back drop shadows became more of a problem, the onboard IA Illuminator worked good to 75 yards, the torch when focused to a tight beam really reached out, it does fill in the shadows. It reaches pass the practical range of the scope. This is my first time out with it so there may be a learning curve.
One problem noted, when I got back to the house, I tried a little recon in the neighbor hood. I had a mix of too much light and dark shadows, If I used the more powerful torch to fill in the shadows I would loose the image ,it would get dark and grainy and I would have trouble get back a usable image. I had to turn the scope off. What’s up with that? Is that the trash light messing with the electric eye of the unit? Kind of like an F stop issue with an auto camera?
Let’s see if I understand the adjustments of the scope. The eye piece set up the focus of retical, the middle knob is the screen brightness, but seems to have an effect on sharpness; the foremost knob seems to be the distance focus adjustment. How do you use the S button and the little moon button.

First impression is good, if you are sitting on a food plot or on a feeder those pigs will be in trouble. I could see some spot and stalk stuff going on also in a familiar area.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

You have the basic controls down pretty well. The half moon indicates that you have set the improved contrast mode for low light. The S shows that the enhanced sensitivity mode has been set. The effect of both is more obvious when it is really dark.

You'll be surprised at the IR reflectivity of eyes in the night. They stand out very strongly!

I get pretty good paper target focus and clarity at 100 yards next to the house. The impact area is in a place that would have strong shadows in the day time.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote