Find
Notify
Tools

Odd one
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I was given a bag of old cartridges, 30-06 and 303 British and wildcats based on both...25-06,35 Whelen, 303-25 and 303-270..all made from standard brass not factories.
Among them was an odd one...looks to be a shortened 30-06 in 6.5 but the rim is .480 thou....almost semi rimmed.

any ideas as to the parent case?

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The head dimension conforms to the 6.5x55 Swedish but the length of 2.0" is .1654 too short to be a factory 6.5x55, my best guess is it is a wildcat or some other factory lesser known cartridge.
bb

Posts: 396 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Maybe not such a mystery after all.... I was going through a bag of old 303 British cases and found some with the same headstamp.
My guess is its someone's wildcat project...shortened case, machined extractor groove, turned down rim and necked down to 6.5...a lot of work for something

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
6,5x50 (semi-rimmed) Japanese made from military 303

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
6,5x50 (semi-rimmed) Japanese made from military 303

AKA 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka and as bpesteve correctly says, made from a military 303 case as per below info;

.303 British calibre cartridge headstamp;

DI Z

DI = DI

Defence Industries, Verdun, Canada.

The 'Z' suffix Refers to graphite glazed nitro-cellulose propellant

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DZ = Unknown Factory, Poland. If that tells you anything.

https://www.cartridgecollector...age=headstampcodes#A

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
DZ = Unknown Factory, Poland. If that tells you anything.

https://www.cartridgecollector...age=headstampcodes#A

The manufacturer's headstamp code is DI (Canadian) not DZ.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote