Find
Notify
Tools

30 G, 1906 headstamp?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted

Any information regarding the circa of ammo with this headstamp would be appreciated.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is early 30-06. Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
This is early 30-06. Butch

Yes it is.

I was specifically wondering if this is from a period between 1906 and say, maybe 1910. I really don't know how long manufacturers headstamped what we have known as the 30-06, as the 30 G, 1906.

I also assume that it is an old Winchester case.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is a Winchester Super Speed. Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
According to my Winchester Manual of Metallic Ammunition and Brass and paper shotshells the 30-06 sporting round was first loaded commercially by Winchester in 1908 . I imagine someone else probably has a more specific date for your headstamp , but many of those who may know are at SLICS at present .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Muzza,

I did some checking with my Grandfather, and he said that Super X was the trade name for Western Cartidges, which later bought Winchester, who used the trademark of Super Speed. I am not sure on the date of the merger, but I would believe that the cartridge was manufactured by Winchester.

I may have to buy a book at some point in the near future. This is really the first cartridge I have ever been interested enough to investigate its history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, do you need any more. I have both brass and loaded rounds. Butch

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Your offer is interesting... if I owned a Springfield 03a3, I would certainly like to have a clip of them. But at this time I would only be interested in further information regarding the history of the headstamp itself.

Thank you.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
I would think your case is from around the thirties. I say this because of the "Super Speed" stamp. Earlier cases (WWI) were usually W.R.A. Co. Before WWII the .30 G. 1906 seemed to be fairly common with Peters using it later that almost everyone else to the war maybe even to 1950. The .30-40 Krag also has unique headstamps because of its military designation as well.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I also have a few that was the father of the
30G 1906 It is the 30-1903. You dont run in to these very often because almost all rifles chambered for it were rechambered for the 06'.
the .30-40 krag also had some head stamps that are 30 USA and the .30 U.S.A. in the rimmed version.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
I also have a few that was the father of the
30G 1906 It is the 30-1903. You dont run in to these very often because almost all rifles chambered for it were rechambered for the 06'.
the .30-40 krag also had some head stamps that are 30 USA and the .30 U.S.A. in the rimmed version.

Was the 30-1903 a rimmed cartridge; with dimensions between the 30/40 Krag and the 30/06?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .30-'03 is a rimless case and is identical to the '06 except for a slightly longer neck. The headspace is the same for both cartridges.
The '03 was developed with a 220 grain bullet like the .30 Army (Krag). .270 Win. brass is about the same length as the '03.
Many '03 cases were rebuilt into '06 blanks and show up from time to time, as do '06 loads on trimmed '03 cases. A .30-'06 on a dated 1904 case is a hint of something amiss.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ewin
Thanks that saved me some typing. beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote