New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.7x28
 Login/Join

<'Trapper'>
posted
Picked up some empty cases at the range and I have never seen any quite like them. The headstamp is 5.7x28. All I can find online is a reference to an experimental police weapon by FN. Anyone know anything for certain about the caliber?
Best regards,

<'Trapper'>
posted
Feel like a dolt - all I had to do was a "Search" and I would have found the 5.7x28 had been discussed already. Boy! Now next question: Would a new barrel and magazine work on say a CZ52 rechambered to the 5.7X28??? Some of us may have just too much free time on our hands!
Regards,

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Trapper, you are in the wrong forum to be asking that question, I think. If there's nothing in other forums here, try the "Ask the Experts" forum on Gun Broker.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'Trapper':
Feel like a dolt - all I had to do was a "Search" and I would have found the 5.7x28 had been discussed already. Boy! Now next question: Would a new barrel and magazine work on say a CZ52 rechambered to the 5.7X28??? Some of us may have just too much free time on our hands!
Regards,

this ammo is much too long to use on any existing classical handgun.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I can't see where this would not work as the CZ-52 is chambered for the 7.62x25 and the 5.7 has a case 28mm long - 3 mm difference? And the CZ would no t accept this length, or could not be opened out?
The more I think about this the more I like the idea. Sometimes I marvel at the ideas I come up with, and someday I intend to work on some of them. Someday!
Regards,

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I dont think the case length will be the problem -
the overall length will be the difficult bit .
The overall length of the 5.7 x 28 is 43mm , the projectile is very pointed and unless you reload to a more blunt profile and shorter length I imagine magazine fitment - let alone feeding - will be difficult .

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN [Belgium] makes a submachinegun and a pistol for that round.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] [Eek!] wow, i didnt think that was possible... what!?!?!? oh yeah... the 5.7x28 cartridge is for the P90 submachine gun made by FN (if youve ever played goldeneye, then its the RCP-90). it is also made for the FiVe-SeVeN pistol, which has a... get this, 200000 capacity. nah, its only 20, but thats still a lot. the 5.7x28 cartridge is not available for civilian usage, no exceptions. by the way, if you dont really want them anymore then email me at iq_shredder@hotmail.com

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
their inavailability makes them comepletely worthless.

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randm'Man:
:...the 5.7x28 cartridge is not available for civilian usage, no exceptions. ...

Actually, the P90 project hasn't gone far: 5.7x28 cartridges are now quite available (at collector prices). Auctionarms.com has a box of 50 up for current sale. Singles (subsonic, training, and armour-piercing types) are available from several sources.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I have several of these cases that I'm using to build wildcats on. First one I shortened to 25acp length and necked to 22 caliber. Had to neck ream AND neck turn to get a decent neck wall thickness. Gained almost .5 grain of powder but haven't cronoed it yet to see how much gain I get over my 22 Epperson Cricket from the 25acp. Plan on working one up to fit the 22Magnum action.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote