Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collath drilling ammo
 Login/Join

posted
I've got an old german drilling. On barrels is marked Wittener Excelsior and ,on one side Collath patent. The rifled barrel is marked only 8MM .I tryed a 8mm mauser case ,but don't fit in the chamber.Those drillings use a obsolete ammo?If yes, can be replaced with a common reloaded one?Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Romania | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Cristi

Ask a gunsmith to make a camber cast, it's the best way to find out thumb

There are people who handload ammo for these calibers Smiler

Cheers beer
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you can find something here: www.samereier.de If Samereier doesn't have your caliber listed, you can mail him.

Regards

Frits

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The 8mm range of cartridges is about the biggest in Metric calibre designations . Without some idea on case length any guess would only be a guess , and a poor one at that .

I would go with Johans suggestion on a chamber cast , or at least use a micrometer slide to try and locate the lip in the chamber for the case mouth . That will give you a pretty-near case length and then some better suggestions may be forthcoming .

Good luck , and please keep us informed .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've measured it (not so accurate I think) and is arround 45 mm long Is not too short?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you take the barrel off and look underneath?

Usually the caliber and chamber lengths are stamped there for both the shotgun and rifle barrels.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've did. is stamped only 8 M and some eagle proof marks

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Cristi , can you determine if the chamber is straight sided or bottlenecked ? You should be able to slide a probe in and along and feel the end of it move in or not with the chamber walls . This will further narrow down the choices and make a final identification a little easier .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Here are two possibilities: 8x48R Sauer (Blk Powder Round). 8x42R (also BP). Along with the chamber casting, also slug the barrel to check bore size.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote