New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else burns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We only use wood for heating our home. I fall, cut and split all of it. We use 5-7 cords a year. Some comes from our place but I would rather go find it elsewhere meaning from neighbors or on the side of the road after a storm. But I have to be quick, lots of wood scroungers here (like me) so it doesn't stay down long. About time to start thinking about next years wood.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an efficient woodstove, but only burn it when its really cold. Like at least 10 degrees below freezing. The wife would have it going when the temp his 40 but I like it a bit chilly.
I'll only burn about a cord. and Its usually all free wood from storm blowdowns around the neighborhood in the spring.
I've found apple to be the best followed by Hickory when I can get either.. put really like how white ash burns. nice and clean, coals nicely and leaves very little ash.

My stove is a Harmon Exception. Made in Pa.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 200 cord a year, between the houses, making maple syrup crop and what we sell.
Helps keep me out of trouble.

Posts: 6900 | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old fashioned airtight wood stove in my hunting camp in PA. It is crazy efficient. The camp is well insulated and when we go down foe deer season in December on the coldest day we start a fire and the place is warm and comfortable in about 30 minutes tops. One time it was minus 20 F and we heated the whole place. It got sooooo hot we had to leave the front door cracked open. It burns very efficiently and we use little wood. Sometimes use the top to heat certain dishes.

Posts: 888 | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old fashioned airtight wood stove in my hunting camp in PA. It is crazy efficient. The camp is well insulated and when we go down foe deer season in December on the coldest day we start a fire and the place is warm and comfortable in about 30 minutes tops. One time it was minus 20 F and we heated the whole place. It got sooooo hot we had to leave the front door cracked open. It burns very efficiently and we use little wood. Sometimes use the top to heat certain dishes. The only problem we h ave with it is that it tends to melt the ice in our drinks each evening.

Posts: 888 | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
About 200 cord a year, between the houses, making maple syrup crop and what we sell.
Helps keep me out of trouble.

Wow, that's a lot of firewood.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We never used quite that much here in central Texas but we did use a lot for 3 households. I worked in town + a buddy would come with me every afternoon after work + we would cut trees to 8-10 ft. lengths + load the pickup. Took about 30 minutes. On the weekend we would cut to length, split, + stack. For a minimal bit of effort each day, by the time winter rolled around we were well set.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
We never used quite that much here in central Texas but we did use a lot for 3 households. I worked in town + a buddy would come with me every afternoon after work + we would cut trees to 8-10 ft. lengths + load the pickup. Took about 30 minutes. On the weekend we would cut to length, split, + stack. For a minimal bit of effort each day, by the time winter rolled around we were well set.

Keep doing it!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am Ann. When we 1st moved up here in the country in the early 70s we had to haul water, no electricity, etc. + believe me having a #2 washbasin to deal with the new baby's cloth diapers was a chore indeed. I know, as I did my share of changing + washing. At the time, all of it was an experience, just because we wanted to be independent. Now I am very thankful for the training camp. I could go on + on about how I built a tower to hold 55-gallon drums tied together for gravity flow that I filled from my truck-mounted barrels. That's another of many stories that concern the general premise of self-independence. (R/E- taking care of yourself because it's no one else's duty). More later if anyone cares. You must admit if one lives like this for generations then they might have ideas to offer.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I am Ann. When we 1st moved up here in the country in the early 70s we had to haul water, no electricity, etc. + believe me having a #2 washbasin to deal with the new baby's cloth diapers was a chore indeed. I know, as I did my share of changing + washing. At the time, all of it was an experience, just because we wanted to be independent. Now I am very thankful for the training camp. I could go on + on about how I built a tower to hold 55-gallon drums tied together for gravity flow that I filled from my truck-mounted barrels. That's another of many stories that concern the general premise of self-independence. (R/E- taking care of yourself because it's no one else's duty). More later if anyone cares. You must admit if one lives like this for generations then they might have ideas to offer.

So John C. made a comment in Misc topics about putting in a rainwater collection system. This might be a great new topic for here. I know it is something that could be on my radar sooner or later if I find some really clean IBC totes.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did comment to john C. on the other forum, but you are correct that this is an issue worthy of discussion on this one. I can live for a very long time without gas but I can't live much longer than 3 days without water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I always laugh when I see TV commercials for gyms or weird exercise equipment. City people baffle me.

I recently modified my front deck to make it easier to get the wood up here.

I log, block, split and stack my own. All hardwood. Will probably put up three cords this fall. I am halfway there.

Anyway, it's free exercise in the fresh air and should the power grid go out all will be well here.

I have one of those little electric splitters, a 5 ton, haven't found a log yet it can't handle.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70s, I was adamant about splitting my own logs via wedge + sledge. Wisdom (hopefully) comes with age as I have learned to work smarter, not harder. but if your electric splitter goes out during an electrical shortage, you always have the backup method. You appear to be well prepared, wood-wise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have that exact same splitter and love it. I should send you a photo of my mod. which makes it much easier to use and, I believe, safer. Pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined. I will say that with my dead pinon I do occasionally run into a log that will stall the splitter, but that is not common.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Ann, I have that exact same splitter and love it. I should send you a photo of my mod. which makes it much easier to use and, I believe, safer. Pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined. I will say that with my dead pinon I do occasionally run into a log that will stall the splitter, but that is not common.
C.G.B.

I'd love to see a picture or two of your modifications.

I just split half a cord two days ago. Getting a jump on next winter's wood supply.

~Ann