Notify
Tools

Mel Tappan-Hand writing on the Wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you may remember Mel Tappan an his Survival
Newsletter out of Oregon.
His wife Nancy continued the Newsletter for a number of years.
His Survival Guns and Survival books were /are first rate. Recommended reading. His predictions are on the mark -and are not dated.

Keep as much as you need-take the rest away from
the modern Tories/Bolsheviks. Be Prepared.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read a lot Of Tappan back in the day.

Had some interesting thoughts

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of his too as well as Nonte, Askins,Jordan, Keith, O'Connor,Carmichael, Seyfried, ad infintum. Actually too many to list + at the risk of sounding like an old fart that they don't make them like they used to, well, they don't.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mel lived about a half-hour from my town in southern Oregon. Never got to meet him.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
at the risk of sounding like an old fart that they don't make them like they used to, well, they don't

That is because we are the old farts.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who was the old man that wrote a survival articles in Guns & Ammo? I remember him advising to invest in silver coins. He answered the door one night and someone killed him and don't know if they ever caught the killers.

Posts: 978 | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure who that was but if I heard the name, then maybe. I took G+A for many years, but the best editors kept passing away + the newer writers were never as good. I finally quit when I realized I was only reading "Coopers Corner" on the back page + thought it pretty silly to buy a magazine for only one page. However, I did buy all his books, including Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip, that was a compilation of his musings.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While many of Tappan’s recommendations are dated (especially his specific reccomendations on weapons selections) his concepts are still very valid.

I regularly recommend “Survival Guns” folks just starting out and tell them look at the concepts not the specific recommendations.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1051 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post