Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything new for the garden this year?
 Login/Join

posted
Going to plant some Stevia and see if it is a worthwhile thing to grow. Anyone else doing something new or different this year?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I generally try one or two different things each year. This year I have chosen luffa gourds to make scrubbies out of the fibers.

I am also going to plant some black garbanzo beans. I never knew they came in black either. Store shelves are soooo limited on variety.

I dare to be different!

I've already got the onions in and they look real good. Potatoes are sending foliage up. Planted lettuces and have several volunteers that overwintered. Garlic is also looking good. I have not tried growing garlic in the IBC tubs before so this too, is new.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've planted pop corn for the first time. I've gotten to where I grind it for my cornbread so want to grow my own.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, it was a very long time ago but one year I planted blue popcorn. The kernels are absolutely beautiful. I saved a bunch of the whole cobs to display in a glass jar. The cobs were very small. Nothing like sweet or field corn.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I grew some of those crook neck gourds, then dried them to make Purple Martin houses.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purple martins focus on dragonflies for a food source. I know a lot of people think they a primarily eaters of mosquitoes. It's actually the dragonflies that eat mozzies.

Still, all the swallows are pretty cool. Jet fighters of the sky.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I planted some Jerusalem artichoke in the bed on the east side of my tool shed.
Hopefully they'll shade my shed, and the bed should keep the tubers from spreading.

Posts: 2927 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
I planted some Jerusalem artichoke in the bed on the east side of my tool shed.
Hopefully they'll shade my shed, and the bed should keep the tubers from spreading.

The tubers are very good to eat. In the winter. This is a plant that likes moisture so keep them watered. Mine get about 7 feet tall.

I have tried spreading them around my land but the deer kill them so I can't get them established.

~Ann