New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storm outage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
9.5 inches of heavy wet snow. total for 3 days around 14 inches.

Took out power lines over a large area of NW Wisconsin.

I was out of power for about 48 hours. My half of mile of power line ends at my house with only one other house on it.

The power crews had to clear a dozen or so trees off of it.

Out side temps in the mid 20's to mid 30's.

Wasn't much of problem for me. With wood heat and some stored water. A pond to get to get flushing water

Others quickly saw inside temps drop into the 50's

Could have been worse for those without a generator or back up heat.

If the outside temps would have dropped below zero. Or the outage lasted longer.

Had to cut a bunch of trees out of the driveway so it could be plowed.

Ran the stand alone generator a little to keep the freezer cold.

I think it is amazing that the power company workers did such a great job with 100's of miles of line to clear.

In my 6 plus decades I have only seen a couple of other times when we have loss power for more then a day.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep six 5 gallon buckets on the porch and collect rainwater. Handy in an outage for flushing toilets, etc. I bring in my solar lights in the evening if there is a power issue.

We are in for some really cold weather the last half of December. Real early for winter for that to be happening. Y'all north of me have been getting hammered with the snow. SoDak friends and Akaskans are buried!

~Ann

Posts: 19167 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post