New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
That September is emergency preparedness month?

I didn't but laughed when I saw some of the media pushing people to have a 'bug out bag' ready to go. The first thing I thought of was, have these folks got a plan as to where they can/will go if SHTF? Seriously, if you do not live in a safe place, where exactly can you go?

I can see having a kit in your car for a stranding situation (which I do, stuff to keep warm with) though something like that would be awfully rare for me. I do tend to carry more stuff if traveling long distance.

So, back to the situation. In a true SHTF situation: your urban paradise is burning, nuked, Godzilla attacks, whatever and you have to get out to survive, where would you go? What is your plan?

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait, are you saying the government won't care of me??..
Ha. Ha.
Yep, if there is not a FULL plan already in operation it's gonna be tough. The Bug out phase is my level 3 plan. That's where you can no longer stay in place and you MUST leave, but you better have level 3 firmed up already too.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 519 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are rural, as I am, your best bet is to stay at home, + hope that your planning has made that home as safe + defensible as possible. Of course the same could be said for urbanites, but as a general rule, I have found them to not be in the same category of preparedness, etc. I have heard too many times the words of some of those urbanites saying well, I'll just go shoot a deer. REALITY CHECK! You + your family are in a highway traffic jam tying to leave the city along with everyone else + even if you make it, everyone + their brother already thought the same thing.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + BTW, along with that warm + fuzzy scenario, if it gets to that point, American dollars will be worthless. It will come into the old tried + true realms of barter. (+ this is the ONLY ray of sunshine I can adhere here; the IRS will not be involved.) There will always be a bartering point for food, water, medicine, + in my mind, ammunition.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, such a situation is posed to those who are urban as we out in the 'sticks' are self sufficient.

Randy, I know you've thought of this but what skill set, what values, would a video game urbanite be to those of us who are 'situated'?

I see none but maybe y'all see things different?

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I agree with you and Ann. We have raised a nation of kids with strong thumbs from playing video games. Sadly many will die if things get real bad.
For me, my level one is staying in place as long as possible. Barter skill sets, stuff etc with other folks. I normally use propane to forge with, however I have a stock pile of coal and a coal forge which i am proficient at it and if need be I know how to make charcoal then a side draft forge to use it to make tools and metal repairs.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 519 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watch a prepper video.

The young man was very concerned about how he was going to carry enough battery to keep his electronics going.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that poor man won't survive.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a series of books based on this very scenario. After reading them it is obvious that the author has researched this subject extensively.

I recommend it, you will learn a good deal about prepping. The first book is called 'Going Home' by the author A. American. Very popular.

Craftsman

Posts: 1533 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, funny you should mention it, but my middle son, who was raised around guns, hunting,+ living in the country; after getting out of the military started up his own video game development company. He now lives downtown, has 49 nerds working for him + making a sxxtpot full of money. In his case, he could always come home to the homestead, (without the 49 nerds). He was raised in this environment, but I doubt that any of his workers were.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He now lives downtown, has 49 nerds working for him + making a sxxtpot full of money. In his case, he could always come home to the homestead, (without the 49 nerds). He was raised in this environment, but I doubt that any of his workers were.

Has he been smart enough to use some of his money to prepare. To leave the city or have enough supplies to stay awhile until he can.

Has he tried to educate some some of his employees to prepare also.

Has he contributed to having supplies at your place.

If not it is time to have the talk with him.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well gosh. Call me a hermit. Live in the foothills away from the crazies in the big cities.

Harvest time, canned tomatoes yesterday, made raspberry jam the day before. Apples almost ready for squeezing cider. Put 26 tons of alfalfa in the barn for the critters, 8 more tons coming to top off the barn. Planting the winter crop of veggies now.

Got to figure out what to do with the giant zucchinis.

Call me a prepper? Nope, just doing what folks did many years ago. Preppers can stay in their big cities and sleep in the wal mart parking lots. If one comes my way I will throw a blue tarp over the fence for him and send him on his way.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
Well gosh. Call me a hermit. Live in the foothills away from the crazies in the big cities.

Harvest time, canned tomatoes yesterday, made raspberry jam the day before. Apples almost ready for squeezing cider. Put 26 tons of alfalfa in the barn for the critters, 8 more tons coming to top off the barn. Planting the winter crop of veggies now.

Call me a prepper? Nope, just doing what folks did many years ago.

To me this is all what 'normal' people do!

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mock apple butter is a good use

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can them sliced thin lengthwise, when you take them out fix a batter using flour/ cornmeal (your preference) + fry just like you would steak or chicken strips. Add any spices to the dry batter that you like, I use garlic powder + paprika.