Find
Notify
Tools

Corbett National park
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted
Please follow link if your interested in India and her amazing fauna. http://youtu.be/HVhXFR5qzyk
Eye contact at 30 yards with a big male Royal Bengal Tiger 2011 Last morning of a 10 day hunt.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
When I was a student of Delhi univ in 1979 I went to Corbet park and we saw 3 tiger in 20 minutes! i will never forget that day.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
I bet and l know the feeling, l often think about my days over there and the wildlife, was totally satisfied pulling the trigger on that camcorder.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gives me goose bumps. God rest Jim Corbett's soul!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill you got it.
They say when the Tiger makes a charge on it's victim, the Monkeys will urinate from the trees in shear fear of what they just witnessed. Can you imagine such terror? I would rate that more horrific than most crocodile attacks.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My dad poke of his first tiger which he shot from a machan over a cow killed.

At the first shot with Eley ball ammo, the tiger started roaring in pain / anger. Dad said that the whole forest as shaking - even the tree and the machan he was sitting on! He always maintained that it was the most terrifying experience of over 37 years in the Indian jungles - even after several close calls with elephants.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind, is India not here (US), and parks not open all the time, so need to find out when they are. I went to India in Sept of 1987, and my primary interest was to go to Corbett park. after some checking around, found there was a bus goes there, as the "taxis" were too expensive. But folks at the bus station said, why go now, it's not open this time of the year..

Bill in Oregon.. I guess you know Corbett died in Kenya, having left India, when India granted it's freedom as a country. Naki, how you doing these days...

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sforbsy:
Yes Bill you got it.
They say when the Tiger makes a charge on it's victim, the Monkeys will urinate from the trees in shear fear of what they just witnessed. Can you imagine such terror? I would rate that more horrific than most crocodile attacks.

Also, Did you know that A herd of Chital Deer & a troop of Monkeys have a special relationship where they will work together as a team daily to minimise attacks from Tigers. Monkeys in the trees have a height advantage thus giving them a greater field of view, as their sense of smell and hearing is only average they rely on the Deer's superior ability to hear and more significantly it's amazing power of smell to scent danger. In turn, the Deer are suitably rewarded by feeding beneath the canopy of where the Monkeys are dropping the fresh leaves. When the Monkeys move to browse another tree, so to the Deer follow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting indeed...love the photo too tu2
The tiger is the most striking and stunning animal created!!! Awesome photo of this massive beast tu2

When/Where was this photo taken(?)
Lots of cell phone cameras snapping away Smiler

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes you get a lot of interesting information from Corbet's Jungle Lore - a must read.

The chittal & langur monkey also share the team work with peacocks, jungle fowl & the racket tailed drongo. Really fascinating to note that the drongo will keep watch from a high tree top and if a peacock or jungle fowl finds a juicy bug, the drongo shrieks like and eagle to scare the other birds away and then dives to pick up the bug as reward for sentry duty!

posted Hide Post
And deer poachers climb up the trees(thick foliage) in the dark of the morning and at sunrise start shaking the branches and calling like monkeys to lure the deer in. Common practice in sunder ban area.

Posts: 14 | Location: u s | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
A young rogue male Tiger from Sunderkahl, near Ramnagar. It had taken 6 villagers from Nov 2010 to Jan 2011 before it was gunned down by officials on this morning while l was the first car stuck at a road block 100m from it's last victim.

quote:
Originally posted by TrophyShotPrints:
Interesting indeed...love the photo too tu2
The tiger is the most striking and stunning animal created!!! Awesome photo of this massive beast tu2

When/Where was this photo taken(?)
Lots of cell phone cameras snapping away Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Interesting, l have seen TV specials on the tigers of Sunderban, imagine living with the real fear of a tiger attack as part of your daily existence.

quote:
Originally posted by huntergill:
And deer poachers climb up the trees(thick foliage) in the dark of the morning and at sunrise start shaking the branches and calling like monkeys to lure the deer in. Common practice in sunder ban area.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Yes Nakihunter, l have read all his books over and over, l must say reading J.A Hunters books recently was a treat l new very little about, just love them good old genuine books from an era we will never see again. The book was sent from the UK and it smelt like a 100 years old too.

quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Yes you get a lot of interesting information from Corbet's Jungle Lore - a must read.

The chittal & langur monkey also share the team work with peacocks, jungle fowl & the racket tailed drongo. Really fascinating to note that the drongo will keep watch from a high tree top and if a peacock or jungle fowl finds a juicy bug, the drongo shrieks like and eagle to scare the other birds away and then dives to pick up the bug as reward for sentry duty!