Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger Hunts with pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted
Just wanted to share this wonderful pics and stories from the net.

First is : Maneater "Big Terror" 1969 shot by Dr. Denver Coleman from California

Big Terror

The second is from this site www.thealohabear.com/Bungalow Bill

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I hate to say "Those were the days" but it sure looks like "those were the days."

Those guys were popping tigers...today I'm painting the living room. I suck

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
What was the last year they allowed tiger to be hunted in some fashion?

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
You´re welcome.

India closed hunting in 1972.
As far as I know they have a very strict gun law and only bird shooting and some other stuff like crop raiding hogs are allowed at the moment.
For a problem tiger permit you need some excellent relationships and even than it`s quite impossible. Mad

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
what is the current population? Would it sustain hunting to bring in revenue if the political climate would allow it?

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Sevenxbjt, I´m afraid I have no idea about your questions. I think the main problem is -like in most other places- the people. Look at the population increase of India / southest asia in general and the resulting loose of habitat for wild animals. That`s only one point that comes to my mind...

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
I hate to say "Those were the days" but it sure looks like "those were the days."

Those guys were popping tigers...today I'm painting the living room. I suck

Your kind of a melancholy bastard aren't you. This is the greatest hunting time in the world, there are more game animals in North America and Southern Africa than their has been in 200 years. 50% of Asia is open to hunting, including things like Golden Takin and White Lipped deer that were not even dreamable in the 1960s.

Even Burt Klineberger said it the greatest hunting era is now.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys but when I was a little kid watching land of the lost that T-Rex looked like that would be fun to hunt. So Yep them were the good old days.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys but when I was a little kid watching land of the lost that T-Rex looked like that would be fun to hunt. So Yep them were the good old days.

That would be Grumpy the t-rex

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dentist:
Sevenxbjt, I´m afraid I have no idea about your questions. I think the main problem is -like in most other places- the people. Look at the population increase of India / southest asia in general and the resulting loose of habitat for wild animals. That`s only one point that comes to my mind...

....and that's a huge point. The population is out of control. They have to live somewhere and have room for food to grow!!! I don't EVER expect to see a tiger hunt, but hopefully they'll open up sambur, chitel, bears, hogs, or some of the other animals.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an era to be able to hunt!!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

At long last I have found the old photos and got them restored. A pity that it was so faded but at least it was salvageable….

The story now…..

This tiger was shot in 1951 by my dad. The place was Nilambur in south western India (now Kerala state). In those days it was a very remote forest area accessible on mud roads usually by ox cart or riding elephant. Tigers were plentiful and found within a mile of the Forest Officer’s (dad’s) bungalow. Leopards were seen from the house!

This particular tiger was a cattle killer that had killed a cow belonging to one of dad’s staff members. So dad had a machan built in a tree and sat up at about 40 yards distance. He was using a brand new Astra 12 bore hammer shotgun with Eley lethal ball ammo! The tiger arrived by around 5 pm (gets dark by 6 pm) and one shot in the chest anchored it. How ever it was roaring very loudly and “spinning” on the ground. The tree with the machan was shaking with the vibrations from the loud roar! Dad still says it was the most terrifying sound – of a wounded tiger – that he has ever heard in the jungle.

Dad got down from the machan to give a finishing shot but things got a bit hairy! A few people from the staff housing area a few hundred yards away had arrived and one man got so scared that he ran & grabbed dad & started screaming in panic!. He had also pinned dad’s arms while he was holding the gun. Dad had to push the man away before putting the tiger out of its suffering.

The photo was taken with an old box camera 120 film & developed in a local town – hence the poor quality & deterioration. The skin was cured locally & given to grand dad but it deteriorated & was discarded in the late 60’s I think.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Great photo and story,thanks for sharing.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures of a lost hunting past. I would love to be able to hunt the tiger thumb Wonder if it was avaliable to hunt if the numbers would be higher as there would be a protection give by the dollar rewards rather than some idiot using the body parts as some BS about his man hood in the bedroom!!!!!!! Mad

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest son and I went turkey hunting in Texas a number of years ago. We met the ranch owner in a diner in Rachal, Texas. He said to us that we were a bit early so why didn't we go back to the ranch and check on his dog and his cat. Well, I though that was kind of weird but what the hell. Off we go.

After a short drive we went through the gate and drove on to his house. Ends up his cat was a full grown Bengal tiger! While I have never seen a tiger in the wild, the was a damn big cat. Way bigger than any lion I have ever seen. When the tiger stood on all fours, the top of his head was about at my throat! he took us in the pen with him. I was terrified.

After that, I have to think that hunting tigers must be far more dangerous than lion hunting. They are so big and generally inhabit some pretty thick stuff. Too bad. Those days are gone.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dabloobana
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the jeep belongs to Allwyn Mercury Shikar outfitters based in the foothills of Himalayas, not to be confused with allwyn Cooper based in Central India and the biggest shikar operators in India.

Born to hunt, forced to work.

Posts: 36 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote