Find
Notify
Tools

Rings, Bases and Backup Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I am curious to know what rings and bases you guys use on your sheep rifles that you take on hunts after animals like ibex, argali, tur, etc.? Do you bring a spare scope (or rifle) when hunting animals so far from home?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I use Talley one-piece lightweights. I've never had a rifle lose zero while traveling. I do not take a backup scope on my mountain hunts.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nop. I do not take a backup scope but always rifles with open sights. Blaser R93s, Blaser QD scope bases and rings.
Regards

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been using Blaser mounts quick detachable on 5 hunts in Asia. No extra scope. Zeiss 3-12x56 or 6-24x56 do the job.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stevens,

not in Asia but in our moutains i m using QD rings and we always have a spare scope but that just us ....

Posts: 1749 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious to know what rings and bases you guys use on your sheep rifles that you take on hunts after animals like ibex, argali, tur, etc.?

I used Badger and quick detachable EAW mounts.

quote:
Do you bring a spare scope (or rifle) when hunting animals so far from home?

No. I use very tough scopes Smiler

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEAR Mfg one piece alphamount. expensive, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley screw lock detachables and a sighted in second scope. It stays in camp.

I don't carry it on back pack hunts 'cos I'd rather save the weight. I've had a few slips and slides but never had a fall which gave the scope a heavy knock, so have never needed the spare.

If returning to Central Asia, I would definitely take a spare, just because the stakes are so high in the unlikely event of a problem.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote