New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Japan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if it is legal to hunt Godzilla in Japan? Is baiting permissible? do you think my .404 Jeff is enough gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a limitless debate you should have just asked what caliber is suitable for giant sea dwelling monsters? And even better name some obscure wildcat cartridge that is too small so you can get everyone chiming in about shot placement and how a .223 to the eyeball was well chronicled in some such book as "good medicine" for ancient sea monsters of lore.... fishing

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Yes. The season is open from October to January. Tracking only, no baiting.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look under the Gojira subsection of the Kaiju hunting regulations. You'll see that that .375 is the minimum legal caliber and 5,4 kilojoules of muzzle energy is required. Notwithstanding these legal minimums, Mike LaGrange in his timeless "Ballistics in Perspective" indicated a very strong preference for cartridges over .450 caliber, but also suggested that bullet velocities be kept under 2300 fps for the most reliable performance. On the other hand, Art Alphin in "Any Shot You Want" expressed his opinion that nothing less than a .495 A-Square should be used, and that with nothing less than maximum velocity loads. To the best of my knowledge, Craig Boddington has never expressed his opinion on the subject, at least in print; he may have done so privately.

Given Mike LaGrange's vast experience, I personally regard his opinion as the most authoritative on the subject.

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
Yes. The season is open from October to January. Tracking only, no baiting.

Do you know how to distinguish the droppings of Godzilla from Mothra or King Ghidorah? I can't afford permits for more than one.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Good Lord man everybody knows there's no such thing as a Mothra!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Good Lord man everybody knows there's no such thing as a Mothra!

I believe that he's referring to Insectisaurus. "Mothra" is his kaiju name.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Bring some Plaster of Paris for casting of their tracks, at least something if you don't shoot one of them mothers
You'll need few hundred pounds for sure

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote