New
Find
Notify
Tools

India hunting opportunities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughter is going to spend a year in India ofr college next year. Is there any hunting for in India? If so who do I go through for a possible booking? What is there to hunt and bring back to the states.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
If this article is right, it unfortunately appears that the pickings are very slim on the subcontinent:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_game_hunting_india.htm

It appears that India could do with some active game management, such as found in Namibia, SA, Zimbabwe, etc.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I posted an article on this forum, India to reopen hunting, November 6, 2007 (page 2). I have not heard anything new. Hope you get to hunt there.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can hunt. I was offered the opportunity to hunt Nilgai and gazelle. I declined. I suspect it was not entirely legal.

I believe there is some legal hog hunting, but trust me, going to India to hunt would indicate a clear lack of intelligence.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visit India not for Hunting, is not a "country" is a continent! A man for see all the things India can offer needs more time a life can have...

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
My daughter is going to spend a year in India ofr college next year. Is there any hunting for in India? If so who do I go through for a possible booking? What is there to hunt and bring back to the states.

Some boar and possibly nilgai on pest control permits if you are lucky and in the right areas. Other hunting is available too if you are willing to take the considerable risks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:
is not a "country" is a continent! .

I'm sure its both, as is Australia.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
India is a country not a continent. Australia is a continent because it is a freestanding island without any attached large pieces of property.

It is a subcontinent, the same as Alaska and Greenland. Greenland would be a continent if it wasn't attached to the same tectonic plates as North America hence it is North America (though Europe politically).

Iberia and Italy would be subcontinents if they were larger.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is not allowed in India and if anyone offers you a hunt it would be illegal.Nilgai permit may be obtained but i would not recommend hunting it as it can lead to a lot of problems.

Posts: 55 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:
Visit India not for Hunting, is not a "country" is a continent! A man for see all the things India can offer needs more time a life can have...

India is definately not a continent. It is a country. There are 7 continents. They are as follows,
1.Asia
2.Africa
3.North America
4.South America
5.Antarctica
6.Europe
7.Australia

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that India is not a "continent", conventionally and scolastically speaking. But is well divised from Asia.Is on a plate separate from the euroasiatic plate and geographycally is more divised from Asia respect the old, beloved, Europe, if we simply looks at a phisical map.
Is a continent if you means the culture, the dimension, the variation of the ambient.
India have about 1/5 of world population, a history we western maybe don'know but long, wery long.This is what I means.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello lorefuma,
I gathered that you were only making reference to continent to describe India due to it's large size and diverse cultures, landscape, etc.
Aside from science, medicine, academics,world's largest "democratic nation," etc. and they do not permit hunting, what the hell do they do for relaxation or outdoor activities??
Their reproduction rate of the species is at warp speed I understand, but surely they must find some sort of outdoor sport?? Curious and not meant to be offensive, just curious.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Up here where I live you can hunt all the Indians you want....problem is you have to dress em and lug em out...... animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing to hunt really. Plenty of poaching going on though.

However, if you do make it over there and happen to be in Mumbai, I suggest stopping to eat at Leopold's for lunch and get the dry chicken tika. Amazing. For dinner try a pizza from the place next to Jazz By The Bay. Great BBQ shrimp pizza!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Nothing to hunt really. Plenty of poaching going on though.

Really? Eeker bsflag

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I was told several times, I spent nearly 2 years off/on working there.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote