Find
Notify
Tools

Taimen in Mongolia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Anyone fish for taimen while hunting for Ibex?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see the word taimen. Taimen means trout in Finnish. Is this the same fish you mean? Haven't been to Asia myself or hunted ibex ever, just caught the interesting word.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Taimen, is allegedly the worlds largest trout or salmonid. They grow in rivers in Mongolia and I think eastern Siberia, and Kazakstan.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK. I don't think that's the same we have in here - or then the trouts elsewhere in the world are really small! Big Grin

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
From my experience the majority of the best fishing is in the North Central region of Mongolia. I fished on the Selenge River back in 1994 for 1/2 day (while hunting maral stag). We only caught small trout (they called them lenek), but the poles we uses were large enough to pull in a small marlin! So I would have to assume that there are some taimen in there. Mongolia is a fantastic destination...adventure,culture, history and some hunting all rolled into one and at a very reasonable price! You can hunt Mongolia INCLUDING airfare for less than you can hunt elk in the Western U.S.!

Yours for good hunting,
Clark
Safari Outfitters, Inc.

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
On my trip after Ibex we hunted in the Dry south on the Alti Mts and I found out that the Taimen are in the rivers to the north where it is more forested so I will have to make plans for Boar, Roe Deer and Taimen some day.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello D99

I did a couple of days of Taimen fishing after my Maral Stag hunt in Mongolia. That was a long time ago in 1991. The fish were plentiful I used a local contraption consisting of a hook with bait and the line wrapped end to end around a 6-7 inch piece of wood with wedges cut out at the ends, no rod.
Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote