New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tur or Mid Asian?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys,
Could really do with some advice, I've done a couple of mountain hunts in NZ and Spain and now looking to step it up to one of the above.

Those of you which have been fortunate to do both species which would you recommend doing first, which was the best hunt in terms of experience and end trophy?

All the best

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Tur hands down for a great experience with some great people.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you mind elaborating why? Thanks!

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
On the tur hunt we hunted with third generation guides that took great pleasure in their craft. They had good equipment and didn't want you to kill first animal you saw just so you'd go home. Ibex wasn't like that.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That seems to be along the same lines as others have said.
The Tur hunts sound relaxed compared to the Ibex hunts. It seems you either have to really know what your looking at for an ibex or have complete trust in your guide

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
On the tur hunt we hunted with third generation guides that took great pleasure in their craft. They had good equipment and didn't want you to kill first animal you saw just so you'd go home. Ibex wasn't like that.

Thank you sir.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...26108036/m/350102759

rowan458,

I have not hunted tur, but I had an absolute blast hunting Mid-Asian Ibex in Tajikistan while my husband hunted Marco Polo.

Seeing the huge herds of Marco Polo sheep was pretty cool.

Best of luck on whatever you decide. Either way you will have a great time.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tur. Same reasons as explained above.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

I have hunted both animals. These are two very different hunts.

The Tur hunting dependent on the species hunted, Dagestan vs Kuban. The more common Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan is a tough hunt in very steep mountain terrain and is a hard hunt if you choose to spot and stalk, instead of having the animals driven towards you, and I would rate it very high, as mountain hunting goes.

Just to give you an idea of the steep mountain terrain, below is a photo from my hunt.

[IMG:top] [/IMG]

Mid Asian Ibex hunt is a very different experience, they are one of the largest species of Ibex and is a must do if you are interested in mountain species. In my opinion a 40+ inch Mid Asian Ibex is one of the most impressive mountain trophies you can get.

You can't go wrong with either hunt.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan and Mid-Cauc in Russia as well as Mid-Asian in both Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. All of the hunts were great except the Tur hunt in Russia, but that's a different story. It's hard to say what's best, I don't think I can, they are all special places and the animals are just awesome! I'd be more than happy to speak with you, there's just too much to type out,
Jim (908)284-0778 Call anytime, i'm in NJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredible that you ask! I just returned from a tur hunt in Azerbaijan and harvested ibex and Marco Polo last fall in Kyrgyzstan. I can speak with a fresh mind about both experiences. Please PM me if you would like an in-depth discussion.

From my limited experience...........
Both are great hunts. Tur is MUCH more physically demanding. The scenery is incredible on both hunts. Ibex hunts require Diamox. Ibex is much more remote. Think of it as a wilderness horseback hunt and the tur as a day-hike horseback hunt. I live in the mountains of Montana and the tur hunt kicked my ass. Ibex was mostly on horseback. I'm 50 and in good shape.
Both hunts require you to be at the top of your game. Your experience with travel, shooting, stamina, mental toughness and patience will all be tested. Both hunts are wonderful adventures and you will meet some fascinating people and see some amazing sights. No hunt in the world with a guide/PH who speaks English compares. I would do either again in a heartbeat. In fact, I will head back to one of the areas next September. Not yet sure which. Jet lag still has a tight grip on my mind.

These are adventures, not hunts. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always observed each hunter happy after getting Tur trophy, likely they are just born again.

info@worldwidesafaris.net
Tel:+99 450 3656045
+99 455 3656045
Fax:+99 412 4189495

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote