THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Pakistan Hunt Report 2013. Capra Slam.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pakistan Hunt Report 2013. Capra Slam.
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to this forum, already posted my report in 'hunt reports rest of the worlds section, didnt know there was an Asian hunting Forum as well so i am going to post it here as well.

Outfitter: Indus Safaris (www.indussafaris.com)
Booking Agent: Jeff Neal Inc.
Hunter: Art Johnson
Animals hunted: Sindh Ibex, Himalayan Ibex.
Dates: January 2013.
Rifle: Borrowed from outfitter, a Blaser R8 pro success in 300 Win Mag. using RWS bullets.

In early January of 2013, I left home for the Reno airport on an adventure that most of my family and friends called crazy and dangerous. They were wrong. I was on my way to Pakistan in pursuit of Ibex on what turned out to be one of my most enjoyable and successful ventures. Any fears were unfounded! After a rather uneventful (but long) series of flights, I arrived in Karachi at about three AM where I was met by my host/outfitter, Pir Danish Ali, henceforth known as Danish, sole owner and operator of Indus Safaris, which I was to learn is hands down the hunting company to deal with if hunting in Pakistan.

Danish is a great person, an avid hunter himself, he’s very organized, and on top of all that, he speaks better English than I do! Danish whisked me through customs and passport control so fast it was virtually un-noticed.

We went straight to his beautiful new home where I was shown to my very nice room and a comfortable bed to catch up on my lost sleep.

I awoke mid-morning, fully refreshed and ready to hunt. After a delicious brunch, the first order of business was firearm selection. Danish had advised me that while permits to bring my rifle could certainly be arranged, it would be much easier and eliminate a lot of hassle if I just used one of his guns. I had serious reservations about this, as my only other experience along this line had not worked out well at all, but Danish assured me that he had good rifles to choose from and that there would be no problems, so I acquiesced. Indeed, I was shown an excellent array of rifles to choose from. Following Danish’s recommendation, I selected his Blazer R8 Pro Success in .300 Win. Mag. with a Swarovski Z6i with ballistic turrets. It turned out to be an excellent choice!

After a bit of equipment sorting and loading into Danish’s very comfortable 4x4 Lexus hunting vehicle, we were off on our way to Hyderabad to pursue the Sindh Ibex, accompanied by Danish’s guards and assistants. This entailed an interesting and enjoyable highway trip of about 3 hours. Shortly after starting, we stopped to shoot the rifle, which I had insisted upon and Danish had readily assured we would do. This proved rather interesting—and telling. After setting up a first class quality shooting bench and targets, I was a bit concerned about the vehicular traffic down range. Not to worry. Danish’s guys proceeded to simply stop all traffic for the duration of our shooting. I quickly ascertained that the rifle was dead on at any range out to 500 yards using the ballistic compensator. I was impressed!

On to Hyderabad where we spent the night in a nice guest house.

In the morning, after a good breakfast, we were off well before daylight. We soon left pavement and civilization behind, heading to the Errie Conservancy in the Kirthar Mountain Range, where Danish has exclusive control over all hunting. After several miles of rough two track, we arrived at our chosen area along with the Game Warden and a large party of helpers which we had gathered along the way. After a bit of organization, none of which I understood of course, a group including Danish and myself headed off on foot into the mountains in one direction, while another large group headed off in the opposite direction. The second group, I was to learn, were pushers whose job was to travel down through the desert for about 5 miles or so, then circle up into the mountains and progress in our direction, hopefully pushing Ibex our way. We, on the other hand, hiked a relatively short distance up to a strategic spot, where a hide of stones was quickly constructed. Here we glassed the mountains, particularly in the direction of the pushers, and waited.

After about 2 hours, a group of Ibex was spotted at about a mile, moving in our general direction. As they got closer, it became apparent that there was one good billy in the group. We ascertained that there were 2 likely routes that the Ibex could take, one of which would perhaps provide a shot opportunity. Indeed, the group chose the route that favored us and the billy was eventually within 200 yards—piece of cake! They never actually stopped, but that was no problem, as they weren’t running, but due to positioning in the hide, and a rather comical game of musical chairs while attempting not to expose ourselves, I simply was never able to get into a position to shoot from, and soon the opportunity was gone. Everyone, especially yours truly, was rather bummed, to put it mildly--but it was fixing to get worse! The Blazer R8 has a rather different safety and cocking mechanism than most rifles, and I assure you it takes some getting used to! This I had not done. Once the shooting opportunity was gone, I was attempting to get the rifle back on safety, but it’s not as easy as one might assume, at least until familiarity is attained. As I struggled with the safety, I managed to get the gun to go off—I guess I touched the trigger. This of course was very embarrassing, but my years of practicing gun safety had assured that I had kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, so, thankfully but not surprisingly, nothing adverse occurred from the mishap, other than a severe slap to my ego.

Of course now we were even more bummed, as we were sure that I had now guaranteed that no more Ibex would be passing our way. Regardless, we decided to hold our position for a time, as the pushers were still out there somewhere. Even a blind hog finds an occasional acorn, and apparently this was my lucky day, as we were all surprised to spot another group of Ibex moving in our general direction about an hour later.

The local helpers said that there was a good likelihood that these would follow the same path as the previous group. It wasn’t long before the spotting scope informed us that there was another good billy in this group, so the excitement began to build again. (I should point out that I had unloaded the rifle and spent a good bit of time learning and practicing with the safety). This time the billy, which was at least as good, probably better than the first one, paused broadside at 260 yards. I had been progressively adjusting the ballistic turret as the Ibex approached, so when he stopped, I already had it set between the 200 and 300 yard mark. It was a rather anti-climactic shot when I put the crosshair behind his shoulder and squeezed. The Ibex dropped on the spot and rolled a short distance down the mountain.

The shot was perfect and I had a fine, beautiful Sindh Ibex. Everyone cheered, laughed, and celebrated! A couple of locals and I went up to the Ibex, took some photos, then brought him down to a level spot for more photos. I was amazed at how small bodied these Ibex are. I doubt that he weighed over 90 pounds. About an hour later, the pushers showed up and we took more photos before heading down to the vehicles, where a fine celebration was held.

I shot the Ibex on January 11 at 12 noon, and it was 86⁰F. Thus ended the Sindh Ibex portion of this trip, but the adventure was far from over! We returned to Danish’s home in Karachi where we relaxed for a day, toured Karachi a bit, practiced with the safety, and prepared for the next part of my quest, Himalayan Ibex. While in Karachi, we ate at some great restaurants, saw a genuine snake charmer and his “pets”, attended a huge bazaar, and I met Danish’s good friend Farooq, who was going to join us on the Himalayan leg. Other than his language advantage, Farooq had no more experience in what lay ahead than I did; he was along as a friend for the adventure, and a great friend he turned out to be—quite a photographer too, as it turned out.

The three of us flew from Karachi to Islamabad and spent the night at the Sindh Province government guest house—very nice, as was the meal we enjoyed that evening at a local restaurant. The daily flight from Islamabad to Gilgit is cancelled about 3 days in 4 because of the weather in Gilgit, so we were forced to hire a vehicle and drive by way of the Karakoram Highway, also known as The Silk Road, following the Indus River. I had been warned that this was a treacherous, dangerous, terrible road, but I found it to be a beautiful, nice mountain road, though a very long 12+ hour drive. There were several military check points along the road, but all the personnel were very friendly. Indeed, Danish informed me that they were thrilled to see an American and that he had to continuously turn down their invitations for us to share tea with them, otherwise we’d have never reached our destination.

Our long trip was actually broken into 2 easy days because of a rock slide that blocked the road about mid way. When we came to the cause of the closure the next morning, we found that a narrow path just large enough for a small vehicle had been opened, and that the rock slide actually consisted mostly of one huge rock, and under that rock was a very flat large tandem axle truck, along with it’s 4 occupants! I didn’t say the road wasn’t dangerous!

We spent the night in Gilgit, where we hooked up with Danish’s local hunting partner and arranger, Mahboob. This man is legendary, and many will recognize his name. At his house, where we enjoyed a fantastic home cooked supper, he showed me a set of 55” Himalayan Ibex horns (they are real—I measured them) and pictures he had taken of a Marco Polo ram that was close to 70”. The area also has huge Blue Sheep. In the morning we left for the Himalayas in two vehicles.

The scenery was breathtaking and as we progressed deeper into the mountains, the road got smaller and smaller. It was barely a two track when we reached our destination in the village of Borth far up the Korumber Valley in the Karakoram Range.

Camp was a small village house with a wood stove, occasional electricity, but no running water. The short winter daylight had already faded by the time we arrived. We were served an excellent home cooked meal and spent a comfortable night.

It was barely daylight when Mahboob called us outside to look through his spotting scope. He already had located a very shootable billy in a relatively accessible area! We hopped in the vehicle and went down the road about a mile, where we got out and begin the hike.

This is where the plot thickens. Beginning about 2 weeks before I left for Pakistan, I began to find breathing increasingly difficult. Obviously, good breathing is pretty important when you are climbing mountains to chase Himalayan Ibex! The more time progressed, the worse I got. I simply could not take a deep breath and became totally winded with just a little exertion. Hence, the climb to this Ibex was a major challenge for me.

I went very slowly, stopping often. After an hour or so we were getting closer, but the Ibex, while not alarmed, were moving. They had dropped into a chute and were temporarily out of site. There was great concern that when they came out of this small chute, they would go up and into another large chute that would end any chance for me to get a shot. We had to gain about 300 yards, quickly, so I gave it all I could, indeed I even received assistance from one of the local guys, without which I would not have made it. Just as we got to a good shooting location, we saw 2 of the ewes going up the big chute, but couldn’t locate the billy.
Suddenly we spotted him a little lower. He was ranged at 470 yards. I set the scope on 500 yards and held right behind the shoulder using a solid rock rest. At the shot, he went down, then got up and headed up the chute, but only made it about 30 yards before he collapsed. Those 30 yards were enough to get him to a very inaccessible spot, where he lay suspended by a horn snagged in a bush.

I simply could not get to where he went down because of my breathing problem, and as it turned out, it was quite a challenge for the local guys to get him loose and down. They finally did, and it was photo time. The Himalayan Ibex was physically much larger than the Sindh; I’d estimate it at around 225 pounds. It was taken on January 16 at 12:30 PM. We were at 9400’ and it was 21⁰F.

I had now completed 2 great hunts that actually weren’t too physically challenging, a lucky thing for me with my breathing problem, which, incidentally, cleared up in about 2 months, but the doctors never really figured out why or what I had. Strange, but I’m fine now. Believe it or not, Mahboob told me several times that even though my Himalayan Ibex hunt wasn’t overly difficult, that it was harder than many that they get. It seems that there are a lot of Ibex, and they really aren’t pressured very hard.

The entire Pakistan experience was fantastic. I never once felt threatened, unsafe, or in danger. Everyone I met was polite and very friendly. Great food, too!

The Pakistani people are well aware of the adverse effects of a certain militant group within their midst, one that they consider very much in the minority. They fully understand that the education of their children is the key to suppressing this malignant entity. The most important thing that we hunters can do in this regard is to financially assist their desperately underfunded rural schools. That’s where my tips went! I hope you’ll consider doing likewise to your maximum ability if you go, which you should! Don’t be scared away by exaggerated news reports. Go and enjoy! You’ll not regret it.

I simply cannot say enough good things about Danish and Indus Safaris. After 2 weeks, I hated to leave, and truly hope to return!

Now, I need to point out a very significant matter regarding this Pakistan hunt, at least to me. The Sindh Ibex that I shot was number 12 for me on the Capra World Slam list! Although attaining that slam has been a long time goal of mine, I really didn’t think I ever would reach it. I don’t mind saying that I’m a mite proud of getting ‘er done! Along the way I have had some great adventures and met a bunch of great people. The outfitters and guides of course, but also a whole host of local people, many that were involved in the hunts, but also many that weren’t.
I have to thank my very supportive significant other, Kathy, and Jeff Neal of Jeff C. Neal, Inc. who has very efficiently and productively arranged nearly all of my hunts in route to this accomplishment.

I am planning to return to Pakistan to hunt a Blandford Urial and Black Buck with Danish.

Me with the Traditional Sindh Cap and Shawl called 'Ajrak' gifted to me by my Gracious host and now friend, Danish

Posts: 7 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
now that was a great write up of a great trip Cool Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 7 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art...thanks for sharing!
What an incredible two week adventure!

Congratulations! tu2

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Nice report! Recognise quite a few of those faces. Magic place to hunt.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
wow, what an adventure, congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Interesting hunt and story!

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote