New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books on hunting Asia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently a bit obsessed with the central asian/middle eastern countries and the incredible animals you can hunt there (marco polo, ibex, markhor etc.) Seems like there are a plethora of books on Africa and other hunting destinations, but what about books on hunting this part of the world? I'm interested in how-to books as well as stories. Anyone have any titles?

Thanks,

Alex

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I share your obsession, but my bank account doesn't.. Smiler
I have done one ibex hunt and ready for the next one this fall.
I think Safari Press is a good place to start. You can look spefically for sheep/mountain.

The book "Memories of a sheep hunter" by Rashid Jamsheed is quite good, with a lot of stories (but not so much how to).

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one is Big Game Hunting in the Himalayas and Tibet by Major Gerald Burrard and Across Asia's Snow and Deserts by Morden.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McElroy hunts Asia-McElroy

Hunting in Mongolia by Batsukh Galsan

As posted above, Memories of Sheephunter by Jamsheed

This book is I believe one of the best but it is not only Asian hunting but a variety of hunts from around the world such as Elgin Gates "My hunt for the rams of Shangri-La", and the Shah of Iran hunting red sheep. The book is titled Great True Hunts by Peter Barrett.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can recomend Golabchi`s Obsessed as a book with a lot of interesting stories from sheephunting all around Asia (and the World). Many stories about hunting Marco Polo in the Pamir mountains.

Hope too go there myself sometime..

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anders:
I share your obsession, but my bank account doesn't.. Smiler

I'm in college, great suggestions, but I can't even afford the freaking books! Frowner

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Trophy Hunter in Asia" by Elgin Gates is a very good read.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to look harder and pay more money for books on Asian hunting ,there is a book ''Asian Hunter ''by Capt John H.Brandt which covers most Asian countries ,although there isnt really enough photos in this book, as there should be .Its a fairly big book ,and there is one on ebay now, if you want to grab it, as i think there was only a thousand or so copies printed

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
You have to look harder and pay more money for books on Asian hunting ,there is a book ''Asian Hunter ''by Capt John H.Brandt which covers most Asian countries ,although there isnt really enough photos in this book, as there should be .Its a fairly big book ,and there is one on ebay now, if you want to grab it, as i think there was only a thousand or so copies printed

Looks like a good book, found the listing on ebay. Too rich for my blood, thats a lot of beer money...