New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kazakhstan maral & ibex
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at organising my first hunt to Kazakhstan after Maral and Ibex, in the next two years.

Having never hunted in that country or region, I'm asking the collective wisdom of AR for advice.

I've contacted Westfalia for details of its hunts, and it seems they offer a great combo 14 day hunt for these species.

Can anyone recommend other outfitters I should speak with about such a hunt, and just as important, those who should be avoided.

For those that have hunted maral in that part of the world, what is the best time to book to take advance of their bugle? Also, is it worth trying for ibex as well, is a combo hunt a reasonable proposition?

Any advice and experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know my thoughts and results mate and it was much less than Westfalia

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worked there and lived there. Be very careful who you go with. Treacherous is a good word to describe the place and politics.

Posts: 10209 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Westfalia in the area in 2008 and 2009. Took both maral and ibex. The rut time for maral is in September and it is a good time for ibex also.

Westfalia has a very long track record from Kazakhstan. They have also supported the Construction of the main camp in the Djungarischen Alatau which is the name of the mountain range mots of these hunts take Place. There is also a couple of other mountain ranges to be hunted closer to Almaty.

Several other European agents/outfitters sell hunts in the same areas as all of them have to book through a native Company.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen for the feedback.

Bobcat, while I've never been there, I've formed a view about the place, similar to your description. That's why I want the right outfitter.

Jono, Morten - your advice is appreciated. I need to wade through the options soon and commit to some dates.

Would the first 2 weeks get you in the prime of the rut?

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Spartan,

you really need to start the maral hunt around the 15th September. Last year they first started bugling after a good snow fall and then it slowed right down as it got warmer again.
The combo hunt is very doable in the Dzungarian Alatau. Plenty of ibex up along the Chinese border.

Posts: 5 | Location: Maleny, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct. Mid september should be the peak of the rut for maral. However, temperatures and snow fall may change that - you never know. Especially looking to the change in weather conditions around the world.

Ibex is hunted from 1st August and September/October - may be even later. AS Dane say up against the Chinese border there is pleny of ibex. If you want a very good maral you probably have you get your horse further into the area. But no problem combining - just make sure you are able to ride horses for many hours.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with previous answers. Have been hunting in Kaz last year for Maral, Ibex and roe bock, around 12-15th september. true its necessary to have at least 10 hunting days.

Contact me if you need more information.

Natalia Beck
Central Asian Hunting Club Kyrgyzstan
Beck's Hunting Spain
e-mail: natalia@beckshunting.com

Posts: 17 | Location: Madrid, Bishkek | Registered: 28 January 2013Reply With Quote