New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean Air out of Seoul
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wondering if anyone has made a flight on Korean Air connecting through Seoul with a firearm? I will be doing so this August on my way to Mongolia. I have heard rumors of paperwork hassles in Seoul and was just wondering if anyone on here has done it.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to anyone at the airline?

I've never done what you're about to do, so maybe I'm talking out of turn. But I do have some experience with how things work in the "Land of the Morning Calm."

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Mongolia in 2006 there was a one fellow who who went via Korea. From what I understand, the guns are taken by the Korean police/secruity when you arrive. You then have to go and claim them prior to the gun be loaded onto your next flight. You will also need your U.S. Customs form (4497) to prove ownership. I got the impression that this guy had more issues because of his lack of prepareness.

Additionally, this particular fellow had issues in the U.S. Apparently the airline was not going to put his gun on the plane since according to the airline, guns where not permitted in Mongolia or Korea. I guess he talked them into it.

Hope this helps some.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds right, pcs. Guns are almost totally outlawed in the ROK. There are a few hunters, but the guns have to be kept at the police station and can only be checked out between the hours of 6:00am and 8:00pm during hunting season. Nobody can actually legally keep a firearm in their home. When the average Korean sees somebody with a firearam they figure that the guy with the gun is breaking the law.

Also, Korean Air's website does say that no weapons are allowed in checked as well as unchecked luggage.

If I were in your shoes, Tundragriz, I'd just make sure that the airline here and in Korea is absolutely clear that you're travelling with a firearm in your checked luggage. I'd also make sure that I had a point of contact who knows what's going on in Seoul when I arrived during both legs of your trip.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you trust to luck and you'll get to deal with the same people who handled pcs's acquantance. But if your luck is anything like mine you'll be dealing with people who have never encountered anyone travelling with a firearm and who think it must be illegal. They will be unpleasantly surprised.

The last time I unpleasantly surprised members of a Korean bureaucracy, exercise control was invaded by some very ticked of ROK army SF types. Their CO had somehow or other been caught by surprise by something and thought we were making him look bad. So naturally members of his command were not happy with how we were running things.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
When I was there in 2000-2001 even the cops didn't carry firearms, they carried a big cane like stick thing.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
I have traveled with guns through Seoul and commonly send my clients through there. If you booked your hunt with a quality agent, they should be able to help you and ensure that you have all the proper documents.
Clark @ Safari Outfitters, Inc.

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flown Korean Air from LA to Seoul, the to Ulanbataar, and the return trip. Even in LA they were an incredible pain to deal with. I wound up with all of my possessions, but 2 of my friends had items stolen out of their bags while in the possession of KA. I think it would be easier to have a neuclear bomb in your carry on than to check in a sporting rifle with KA

A guy in New Zealand sent me a very large box via KA one time a couple of years later, and it was equally frustrating. If there is ANY other airline that will get you where you need to go, I would suggest flyig with them. Even if they are considerably more expensive than KA, I would do it for the peace of mind of being able to get where you want to go with everything you packed.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Clark,

How much more of a pain in the Ass would it be to fly from Denver to Frankfurt to UB?

I would think that it would solve a lot of the gun drama.

Seth

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Seth,

Going from Denver to Frankfurt (or Berlin) then to U.B. would be ok...but the kicker would be on the return. Denver is not a USFWS designated port of entry...it can be done (I had some Dagestan Tur hunters come through Denver last year), but it's a pain in the back of your front.

I personally have not had any problem with Korean Air. I think the problem that most people have, is that they either A: book the flights on their own and don't advise the airline that they are traveling with a gun/ammo. or B: book flights through a travel agent that does not know or does not care about advising the airline about the gun/ammo deal.

I ALWAYS make sure that my clients are covered, that the reservations are documented to reflect the fact that they are traveling with "sporting rifle and ammunnition", further to this, we always provide our international clients with documentation indicating that they are legally traveling with the firearm/ammo and also provide a copy of the actual gun permit from the country they are going to.

Best thing to keep in mind when dealing with airlines...if you can't dazzle them with brilliance...baffle them with paperwork.

You need to go to Mongolia soon!

Cheers,

Clark Jeffs
Safari Outfitters, Inc.
Cody, WY

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue really isn't with Korean Air. They are one of the best airlines in the region and they don't have any special issues with firearms. The problem is with the Korean government. It is mandatory in Seoul that the guns be pulled and paperwork inspected even on a direct through connection. I've heard that some hunters were basically harrassed by the inspectors. The hunters were reportedly told that the guns would not be allowed into Mongolia even though they had their Mongolia paperwork in order. The guns were not held up, they were just harassed. Just wondering how prevalent it is or if the reported cases were isolated.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
It's really amazing how gun-stupid some cultures are.

In Singapore while standing shore patrol watch with 3 other Sailors and 2 Sing police officers carrying M16 rifles this really hit home.

The two sing cops both hand their fingers on the trigger and the safetys on and pointing their guns at us while they were talking to us.

I asked they why they held their guns like that and got "looks cool" and " I am an expert shooter, are you an expert shooter?". To which I replied, "if you an expert shooter, why would you break the ten gun commandments?"

In countries with guns they treat them safely, in countries without they act like they are atomic weapons.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Tundragriz,

I think it is more of an isolated situation...having flown via Seoul both on Korean Air and Asiana, I have personally not had any issues (other than being delayed by an inspector in Seoul for about 5 minutes while he checked the papers)....the main thing is to DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. If they are aware of what you are traveling with and you have the proper paperwork, you won't have any problem. If you show up anannounced with a gun and have no papers...you will have serious problems.

Who did you book your hunt with?
THEY should be telling you all of this....
and should also be the ones providing you with all of the proper paperwork.

Best,

Clark Jeffs
SAFARI OUTFITTERS, INC.