Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Burma (Myanmar)?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I do not think there is a legalized hunting program here, but can anyone tell me if there are huntable populations of animals anywhere in the country?

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My grandfather shot sambar etc. in the 1930s. The far north had a lot of wilderness but there is no government control in the upper half of the country. That area is closer to the golden triangle and the heroin hot spot. The local tribes trap and kill / shoot a lot of animals throughout the year and the population has gone up in a big way over the last 50 years. Same as North East India.

The 27 tribe "nation" is now quite huge - 9 tribes in India and the rest across Burma, Laos & cambodia. Some villages straddle the international border. One chief's house sits half in India & half in Burma!

The Chinese have also been kicked out of the area. They built a big new city on the border which is now a ghost town as the relationships with the Burmese government have declined.

Some ruby mining in the rivers too. One of the most lawless places on earth if you ask me.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have a trip planned next January to Burma. Just testing the waters to see what kind, if any, opportunities exist there.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote