New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Brown Bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted Brown Bear near Kirov in Russia? I am looking at a hunt there and would like to talk to someone who has "been there, done that".

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also looking for info on that. Along with combining a snow sheep.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two uncles going this August for a combo Bear/Sheep hunt. One has been there before- shot two bears- one over 10' the other just under. I could get the name of the outfitter if you guys want.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like the name of the outfitter. Any idea on why they selected that particular outfitter or area over another?
Do your uncles get on AR at all? I'd love to hear their reports after their hunts as well.
I have a marco polo and dall sheep hunt for this year and was thinking hard on bighorn for next but the more I think about it, the bear and sheep in Russia is sounding more intriqueing.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluefin,
One person to talk to that is a straight shooter and been in the business a long time is Vance Corrigan at "The Hunting Consultants" in Montana. His contact information is:
huntfind@gmail.com
406-222-0504

He is a wealth of information and sends quite a few hunters to Asia. Hope he can help.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can hunt bear in Kirov region of Russia by two ways- Bear hunt in oat fields or at a den package. Hunt season for bear hunt in Kirov is from August 16 to February 28. I write you names of all Kirov russian local organizations and outfitters;
"Union of hunters and fishers of Kirov city"
"Union of hunters and fishers of Kirov province"
"Union of hunters and fishers of Orlov district"
"Union of hunters Kirov"
"Ginis Ltd"
Those are local organizations in Kirov region. Actually they provide hunt for local russian hunters with hunting tickets. But when any foreign hunter comes, they need to receive only booked hunters with any booking agent who work with them, that they could provide rifle permits, CITES, trophy shipment and etc.
Actually I have a norwegian friend who have been there and hunted bear successfully but, he does not speak english. If you will have some problems with them, then I can help you for questions.

info@worldwidesafaris.net
Tel:+99 450 3656045
+99 455 3656045
Fax:+99 412 4189495

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I would be very grateful is somebody can direct me to an honest and proven outfit for Brown bears in Russia. Thanks

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend filippo from florence italy has hunted with these guys and he told me they are a top notch operation, I am in no way associated with them, just passing a tip along. The guys name is
Alexander Lisitsin running Russian Expeditions
www.russianexpeditions.com

My friend sent me a picture of a huge brown bear he shot and claims this person runs a top notch operation.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
As is typical for this part of the world, there really aren't a lot of outfitters, what there are is lots of booking agents.

I had not heard Vances name in hunting circles in a while. He is probably still booking hunts.

Safari Outfitters in Cody Wyoming would be my choice. Talk to Clark Jeffs.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,
You are correct. I really seems everyone offers the same hunt but the prices vary quite a bit based on what they think they can get out of them.
Vance is alive and well and booking hunts. I talked to him about 3 weeks ago. He was once with Safari Outfitters but moved to Montana and is again doing his own thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think AR is not a web-site that advertises any outfitter, but anybody who wants the local contact of outfitter exactly in Kirov, I can share with you only by private messaging.

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Next spring I´m going on a Kamchatka hunt for brown bear!

I spoke with the outfitter Anstein Østbye (http://www.ostbyeshunt.com/) and the result of the hunt this year was outstanding, with 32 bears, shot by his clients.

Most of the bears in the 2,7-3 meters (9-10 feets). He sent me some pictures, witch you can se on my website:

http://www.nordicpredators.com/jaktdagbok_fredrik.htm

And after seeing thoose pictures, no wonder I´m looking forward going there next year.

Best regards,

Fredrik Gammelsrud

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi

I have a confirmed trip to Karelia region for brown bear and anything else there. The host is a good friend of mine in London and he owns a chunk of the region. The bears are smaller around 2 metre ish. No bigger. Howevewr I am not paying a penny. I am going as a guest. According to him Kirov region and northern Karelia has larger bear however the experience is the same and the co-op sells tags everyyear to foreign to fund local facilities. They will try and get as much out of foreginers as possible. At least the money are going to good cuases and not wasted. I am arriving on the first day of the fall season 25th August.

Will catch up with you nice folks upon return.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeYbonE:
Hello!

Good luck! Don't forget to post a full report upon returning. Smiler
I'm going to Russia for ibex this sept. There's brown bear (though smaller) and maral there as well..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if it is difficult to find a Russian bear hunt in an area that has not been overshot.

Posts: 35 | Location: Cell Block "D" | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeYbonE:
Hello!

I spoke with the outfitter Anstein Østbye (http://www.ostbyeshunt.com/) and the result of the hunt this year was outstanding, with 32 bears, shot by his clients.

Most of the bears in the 2,7-3 meters (9-10 feets). He sent me some pictures, witch you can se on my website:

http://www.nordicpredators.com/jaktdagbok_fredrik.htm

And after seeing thoose pictures, no wonder I´m looking forward going there next year.

Best regards,

Fredrik Gammelsrud
. Some nice bears .. Are those lynx ? what are the long nose Badgers called ???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Has anyone hunted Brown Bear near Kirov in Russia?

Kirov region is very good for brown bear hunting. But brown bears there are smaller than in Kamchatka or Sakchalin regions. Their like black bears in America.

quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
I'm also looking for info on that. Along with combining a snow sheep.

Kirov is too far from snow sheep Smiler It is much better to combine bear and snow sheep in Kamchatka or Kchabarovsk regions.
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
The guys name is
Alexander Lisitsin running Russian Expeditions
www.russianexpeditions.com

I can confirm that Mr. Lisitsin is a very good russian outfitter.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted near this region twice for winter bears through Nikolai Khoklov at Safaris and Expeditions Russia. The hunts are great, but if you are looking for large coastal bears you will be disappointed. These are more like the interior grizzly ranging from 6-8 feet. I believe they are classified as Mid- Asian Brown Bears. Send me a PM and I am certain I can get you in touch with him. He also hunts Sakahalin and Kamchatka. I caution you too about Sakahlin, though beautiful and very dark colored, most of those bears from there could not equal the size of what is being shot on average in Alaska. It is a long haul over there to be disappointed. No sheep were offered on my hunts. Other species were limited to Musk Deer, Siberian Roe and Izuber(SP) a smallish elk/red stag/maral/sika relative.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what those long nose Badger lookin things are ????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are Eurasian or European Badgers. They are about the same size as the Honey Badger from Africa. Wade

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote