New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in Baku
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking Ram TJ. Some awesome pictures there as well. I bet you feel like going back

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Too many other great adventures in this world to experience to do this one twice but I'm sure glad I did it once!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you are right and that is why I won't be back. I am trying to catch up to you and got the Marco polo Ibex next in 2016 and not sure where to go after that but may be a desert sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to have to put this one on my list! If you were to go again, what time of the year would you go? (not worried about capes personally)

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
If cape was not a concern, then mid to late August would be great but early September was fine too and capes were good. Go much later and fog becomes a huge issue I understand.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

Just on the form...still a month or so till he comes home but looking good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmm. might look into doing this hunt in 2015. Anyone else thinking of going? Would be cool to go as a small group.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks great TJ. I am thinking of getting a half mount for mine bedded down. Hopefully I get one knocked down in the trip and weather is good so we have a go or 2 at them.

How much hiking did you do each day on the hunt? Was it pretty steep getting into the base camp up top?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We hiked about 4-5 hours out from camp each day with 3-4k feet of elevation. They were long days. We got back well after dark every night. Spiking out further up the mountain would have been better but there is no water or feed for horses. The day Pat got his ram, he got back at 3am.

Getting up to spike camp was brutally steep but we took horses so it wasn't too bad. We had to lead them a lot but at least a person wasn't carrying their pack. It will be the steepest country you've ever set foot in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I am not in shape and beeter start working out lol That sounds like more than an Albertan bighorn hunt.
What kind f gear do you suggest taking? I plan on taking my good pack and sleeping bag but it doesn't sound like I need a whole lot? I plan on taking some snacks as well to keep me alive although I hear the food is good.
Should I be taking an extra pair of binos? Spotting scope?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
ya ours was pretty physical but I think they can hunt according to your own level of fitness. Pat had just come off a couple months backpack guiding so we went pretty hard.

An extra pair of binos and spotting scope is a good idea. Some energy snacks would be good but otherwise food is great. Take a thermsarest, backpack, sleeping bag, and the regular mountain clothing and boots. Some drink crystals and water bottle are a good idea too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Northman56751:

Bryan Martin also runs Canadian Mountain Outfitters.

quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Hunt: Tur in Azerbaijan
Dates: Sept 5-11, 2013
Outfitter: Bryan Martin, Asian Mountain Outfitters

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote