Find
Notify
Tools

Books On Hunting In India
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have really enjoyed reading some of the books on the market about hunting in India in year's past. Of course, there are the Corbett books. Corbett was an exceptional person and wonderful writer. I think if I could pick one hunting icon to share a campfire with, regardless of region hunted, it would probably be Corbett. Ken Anderson's books are good too. I know there are questions about whether Anderson did everything he said he did, but putting that aside, his stories and writing ability are very good. A slight more contemporary writer is Peter Byrne. I have two of his three books but have only read one, Gentleman Hunter. Again, an entertaining read. Just bought Thirty Years of Shikar by Sir Edward Braddon but not sure what that will be like. Bottom line, if you have not spent some time reading about hunting in India during the late 1800's up through the mid-1900's you are really missing out. Some great writers and great stories. Pity hunting in that region is a thing of the past.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There are a lot of free ebooks on the subject available at www.gutenberg.org

Saeed

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Carrington Turner was a former Forest Official who shot a few tigers & leopards. His book is good reading. Dunbar Brander was another FZS officer who wrote a good book - more studious rather than adventure.

Sanderson's book is a fascinating one for late 1890s . I have an old copy which was given to my dad. This is about South India - same local region that Anderson wrote about. Plenty of stuff about animals, hunting, local culture, history, ethnology etc. A truly enlightening book - even for me who was born in that area.

I would keep away form some of the Indian authors like Col Kesari Singh - just full of BS stories of 12 feet long tigers & claims of having hunted over 1,000 tigers! He was a military aide to one of the Maharajas and they used a 11 inch tape measure and then measured the tiger over the curves! They probably even got a 13 feet long tiger that way. They also shot caged tigers!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. That will give me some additional library fodder to search for.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Found Maneaters and Memories by Carrington and Thirteen Years Among the Wild Beasts Of India by Sanderson at Amazon. Thanks. tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am thrilled for you Mike. I hope you really enjoy them. I would really like your feedback on the books.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Mike, Tiger claw ( Korea) and Blue Tiger ( southern China)
Excellent reading
I'll look in my library and come up with few more
Milan

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Big game hunting in Manchuria by Baikov
I killed for living by Ettienne Oggeri
Amazing window into a bygone days

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Moonlit trail in Indian jungles by flaiz
Jungle by-ways in India by Stebring

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I will track these down.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading Maneaters & Memories by J. Carrington Turner. Very nice book. A good mix of hunting stories but also just stories about the people and the flora and fauna of rural India. Also, unlike Corbett, most of his hunting was done through elephant drives with mahouts which is fascinating too. Pity that unlike hunting in Africa this hunting is gone forever.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few books, not really that old, 1950s written by a few indian guys. I will try and pdf them over the next few weeks and send it out to anyone who wants it.

The book are in bad shape but the pdf should be readable.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mike

I read Turner many years ago - 25+. I still have my dad's copy & I remember his story of a tiger & wild boar.

This video I saw recently reminded me of that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G3UdhMnskM