THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Wildlife trophies seized from club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildlife trophies seized from club
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.hindu.com/2009/10/2...2009102953530400.htm

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's total BS. The Indian forest dept. can't catch poachers within 2 hours from the Ooty club and they raid the club to seize trophies that are a 100 years old, in plain sight of everyone.

By the way the Ooty club is a great old colonial club in the Nilgiri hills in Southern India, where until not that long ago they used to have a hunt (as in riding with horses). It was a favorite haunt of the british officers in India and the game of snookers (billiards) was first played and somewhat invented in that very same Ooty club by the british officers in India.

The Nilgiris are still rich in wildlife with lots of big-game, including tiger, bison, elephant, axis deer etc. There are also several tea plantations in somewhat close proximity of the Ooty club. Its a very nice place full of great history now sadly minus many old trophies from what I can gather from the picture.

Here is a link to the club's website http://www.nilgirinetworks.in/ootyclub/index.htm

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Would the Bison mentioned be Gaur?

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the Indian bison is also called Gaur. Supposedly the biggest wild ox in the world.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

My dad was once the Chief Wildlife warden of Tamil Nadu state where this incident occurred. I am very familiar with Ooty & have been to this club & seen some of the trophies. The teak wood paneled interior & the bar are a sight to behold. I also worked as a Tea Planter in Assam & South India in the 80's.

Coming to the point, I would suspect that some Forest Officer tried to gain membership of the club and was denied this privilege & hence the raid to harass the club officials & members. Many senior officials have spent years in this club & it has never had a problem before. Field Marshal Manekshaw was a member for a long time.

.....Stupid bureaucrats with huge egos!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote