New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gaur in the garden
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend took these photos in his garden in South India. They came pretty close up to the house and the dogs chased them away!

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
These are very cool photos Arjun. What is the current status of the Gaur population in India these days?

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thas very cool i love the pic with the bulls horns down at the dogs tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In many areas the gaur population has been decimated due to de-forestation and foot and mouth disease from village cattle. However in southern India mainly there is a very healthy population of them. Being from the bovine family meat poachers dont kill them either as they don't eat them. The powers that manage Indian wildlife will surely wipe it all out in the years to come due to their sheer ignorance and stupidity, instead of allowing hunting and conservation to co-exist.

Arjun

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Arjun. W@here is this taken?

I am in India right now on business for 4 weeks. Just recoveing from jet lag after arriving yesterday.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
VERY cool photos....I wish they were still able to be hunted legally. They are impressive animals...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big mature bull. I read somewhere that guar are a form of bison; the very high dorsal ridge and horn configuration like in the american and european bison.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry but that is not true. Gaur are widely accepted as the original wild cattle to be domesticated. They are not a true "Bison" though they are commonly referred to as such in most parts of South India.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote