Find
Notify
Tools

Tipping in Azerbaijan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted
Headed to Azerbaijan in September and have discussed tipping with the outfitter but just thought I'd throw it out here for those that have been. What's appropriate. I've heard a few stories, including a couple of upset guides/cooks figuring they got short changed.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was over in Azerbaijan last july. From what I've experienced in central Asian is that the guides/cooks get tipped less than on an African or North American hunt. I would personally go with what your outfitter suggests. I know that I tipped less than the group of doctors that I shared a camp with but that is for different reasons altogether. My guides and the cook did not complain or act like they were short changed and I tipped what my outfitter said was average. Hope this helps a bit.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told $500-800 total for the camp per hunter.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I was told $1000-$1500 in total for everyone.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tipped in euros but it equaled to about $650 USD. I hope a few others chime in with what they have tipped so that you can get a better idea. From what I experienced you will be tipping 2 guides and a cook at the base camp. As on most hunts the cook will be getting a lesser amount because a group of hunters usually all tip him some and it adds up. Plus you probably won't be seeing him all hunt. The guides get the rest 50/50 unless your outfitter advises otherwise cause of hierarchy or something. The ole 10% of the hunt cost adage applies fairly well and I would think $1500 would be a little steep.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
I was told $1000-$1500 in total for everyone.

I guess that is the difference in booking with an American outfitter VS the outfitter from that area. I think you will pay more if your booking through a booking agent and you will also be told to tip higher than it would be if you were talking to the outfitter that lives overseas vs an american outfitter. I was told $500-800 straight from Mirbala.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with nube. I booked through the outfitter directly and didn't go through a North American agent. Not worth the several thousand dollar difference in price when a quick bit of research reveals who the good apples are in Azerbaijan.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Ya, that's why I asked, there did seem to be a discrepancy between what different outfitters are saying to tip and what the guides and staff seem happy with. I can't see tipping less than $1,000 but I guess we'll see how the service is.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Just kind of more interested in tipping and not really in how to book a hunt or what others are paying for a hunt...that part I've got figured out. Was just wondering what others did for tipping in Azerbaijan. Thanks to those that offered input on the original subject.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
I Tipped about USD$800 for an average Tur. But when you add in the gear that got pilfered during the hunt, it was probably nearer USD$1,500.
Yes they helped themselves!

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:
I Tipped about USD$800 for an average Tur. But when you add in the gear that got pilfered during the hunt, it was probably nearer USD$1,500.

shiit that is really crook

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:

Yet you still tipped? I would have considered the lost gear to be their tip and been done with it. This would be doubly true if the trophies were on the plane home with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a winter hunt and there were 13 guides and four hunters total. We had no idea what to tip with that many guides so we asked Mirbala what would be a good tip. He had all of the guides come in together and we each gave $650 and put it in a pile and it was then divided up. On top of that we gave a little xtra to the guides who bent over backwards for us. Before I left I gave my guide a bit more because I killed a giant ram.
Back in Baku there was a few small pay-offs but nothing crazy.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
What kind of pay offs in Baku Jim? I just want to make sure I have enough cash with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello sheephunterab
I went to Azebaijan some years ago (2006) (https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8321043/m/980104565?r=980104565#980104565). My outfitter suggest me a 5-10% tip for all the crew (I paid $5.600.00 for the hunt). Everybody on camp was happy with that. At least all showed a smile.
Take almost "new" paper currency with you. The exchange houses pay better new currency and your crew will appreciate it too.
The only souvenir that I bought was a $200.00 Silk-Wool blend Carpet on the Bazar.
As everywhere outside USA, keep a low profile, be respectfully on costumes and do not discuss religion or politics with anybody there.
Enjoy your hunt. I will be pending on your preparation and report.

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took us a while to get out of the airport. Waiting on visa seemed to take a long time. Finally after two hours they let our Turkish guide in. He told me the problem was the serial number on my gun did not match what was on my permit. He said it cost him $500 to get it "fixed". When I asked him how they knew there was a problem with the serial number since they had just opened my gun case 5 minutes earlier he laughed. Then he told me they were going to get something to "fix" a problem but he paid it and said it is the cost of doing business there.

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our group had a few times where they asked for $50 or $70 US dollars that was about it.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
So couple hundred extra bucks would cover it then Jim?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a couple hundred bucks would be fine. I just received an email from Mirbala and I think i"m going to go back over next year. I think tur hunting in Azerbaijan is still a great value in hunting.
What outfitter or agent are you hunting thru when you go over??
When I went I hunted out of the Quba region but I think most hunts are now conducted out of Shecki. After I killed my ram I continued to go out with my friends and we saw a few more big rams but it was hard to get to them with the deep snow.
If you send me you email I can send yo a few photos of the range we hunted and the two rams we killed. I think all of the pics are still on my computer.
JK

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We booked through Bryan Martin Jim but will be hunting with Mirbala. I've been chatting with him a lot in the past couple weeks. Looking at how steep those mountains are I'll be more excited once I shed this winter layer of fat....lol

I agree, it is an incredible bargain and adventure and a hunt that is only going to go up in price. A good buddy and I are going and he's a laugh a minute so that should really make the trip fun as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention about bribery. I'm sure that there could be multiple situations where one might need to make a bribe. I only had to pay an airport manager 15 manat (similar to a euro) when I was leaving for overweight and extra baggage. It was bribery but it costed a couple hundred dollars on the way there.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanawannabe:
I forgot to mention about bribery. I'm sure that there could be multiple situations where one might need to make a bribe. I only had to pay an airport manager 15 manat (similar to a euro) when I was leaving for overweight and extra baggage. It was bribery but it costed a couple hundred dollars on the way there.

We just called those "convenience" charges in Kyrgyzstan!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha I like that term! I didn't run into any convenience charges in Kyrgyz although I was suprised by that.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep hunter, don't know if you made the connection but we spoke a few weeks ago about your sheep/ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan. I did book the hunt and am going first two weeks of November. What can be expected for "convenience" fees?
Jim

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim 1367:
Sheep hunter, don't know if you made the connection but we spoke a few weeks ago about your sheep/ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan. I did book the hunt and am going first two weeks of November. What can be expected for "convenience" fees?
Jim

You bet I do remember Jim.

Definitely use the VIP service going in to Bishkek. We paid a kid $50 each to help us through airport on way home...money well spent. We spent $100 each to get our export paperwork done overnight, not in typical government time. I'd say if you had an extra $400 you'd cover everything. Sometimes a $20 bill went a long ways with a cab driver or bell man at hotel if you needed to get things done fast. Definitely nothing major.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the use of the VIP lounge in Bishkek. It's $100 well spent. I used that service leaving the country as well. I had to wait a day even after changing my flights and the paper work was rushed through without any wheel greasing.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We planned on the VIP service. Glad to hear nothing major should be encountered. Back to Azarbiajan we really enjoyed our trip. It really is a good value in hunting these days. Never having done anything like this everything was new to us. Definitely to much to put here. We did wind up spending 2 full days in Baku after the hunt and enjoyed that as well. Now it is time to burn off some of this winter weight and get ready for what is to come!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
What's worth seeing in Baku Jim?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing specific really. Just a nice city. The bazaar and government buildings were kind of interesting as were the outdoor cafe's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked walking through the old city and seeing some of the ruins and ancient buildings. The outdoor restaurants are nice too.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no guidance on tips when I went to Kyrgyzstan in 2010. Our guide was telling us that the local professors at the college were earning less than $100/month. I figured that a $500 tip was better than 4 months wages for most people there. They seemed happy enough with it. Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
average tips for Tur hunt in Azerbaijan is 400-800$ depending on trophy,number of hunters and the most important-hunt quality.

info@worldwidesafaris.net
Tel:+99 450 3656045
+99 455 3656045
Fax:+99 412 4189495

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I get some reccomendations on outfitters for tur. And any other dos and dont's for this paticular adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going on this hunt next summer. Which VIP service are you guys referring to. I like to have as little hassle as possible while going to these well organized countries. I was looking at using Steve Turner for the travel agency, but if there is something better please let me know. We booked with Mirbala for June 2015 and I was only worried about getting my fat ass up those hills but now I am not looking forward to the travel as well.

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
No VIP service required in Azerbaijan...Mirbala's guys will take great care of you. I would suggest tipping them though...then they will take really good care of you on your departure! It's a pretty easy country to hunt in.