New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tur Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys I am looking to book my flights here soon for my Tur hunt. I am going from Canada to Baku and wanted to know if there are any airlines to watch out for that may not be gun friendly or any other advice on flights? I hear it is good going through Frankfurt and to try and stay away from Toronto if possible?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Calgary-Frankfurt-Buku is the simplest. Stay with in the Star Alliance group and no issues with firearms. I'd avoid Toronto just because you'll have to get your trophy shipped back to Alberta after the secondary treatment. May as well clear customs in Alberta and have secondary treatment done here and avoid shipping charges. You'll pay a $100 extra gun fee with Air Canada/Lufthansa but it is the simplest. You can also go through Istanbul but that means going through Toronto. The flights may be cheaper that way but then you have the hassle of getting your trophy back from secondary treatment.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what sheephunterab said. I did the Air Canada/Lufthansa option when I did my tur hunt. Nothing special about either airline but you will avoid Toronto and some shipping charges. If you are taking your own firearm make damn sure you have all the appropriate paperwork for Frankfurt airport as well. Different rules apply there.

If you aren't worried about the shipping costs then take the Toronto route and use Turkish Airlines. Cheaper flight most likely and a much better airline IMO.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Yes, top marks for Turkish Airlines for sure. We flew them to Kyrgyzstan but that was before the new CFIA regulations. Toronto customs was a breeze. Way easier than Calgary but now with new CFIA regulations it makes it more difficult. I'm still getting mixed reports on the Frankfurt paperwork. I flew through there in May and September without any paperwork and was fine. I keep being told that if your guns are in transit that you are fine. Might be worth the 20 Euros for piece of mind but I haven't talked to one person that needed it when guns remained in transit.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's how I got to Bishkek as well. I had a customs officer that was a hunter and he made a slight hassle about my paperwork for the ibex in my luggage. He was trying to show me and his trainee he knew what species of ibex I had and that it was a CITES species. 20 minutes later I was good to go.

I've heard mixed things about the Frankfurt paperwork as well. I would spend the few extra dollars and do it. Excellent airport if you are stuck there on a layover.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked a couple people and they say don't got through Frankfurt now. The new paperwork can be a hassle and there have been a lot of confiscated guns including one person I know of personally. This hunting on foreign soil would just be a lot easier if good rifles were made available in foreign countries for hunters to use.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've heard of one person getting their guns confiscated and it was because they proceeded through German customs on the way to their next flight with the guns but didn't declare they had them. I know a lot of people that have been through there recently with no issues at all. There's nothing to the Frankfurt paperwork that 20 Euros won't fix....I just don't like the principal of it.

If you plan on bringing your heads back with you, Instanbul and Frankfurt are your only two options. Keep everything in transit and enjoy some German beer while waiting for your next flight. Travelling with guns really isn't that stressful...you just need to know the procedures better than those enforcing them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a gun in Azerbaijan but it wasn't very good. A Finnish hunter in camp that tagged out early thankfully lent me his Sako. For some countries (such as AZ) it just isn't something that is easy/possible to do. In Turkey, for example, you aren't even permitted to rent a rifle.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Ya average citizens in Azerbaijan are only permitted to own shotguns so high-powered rifles are pretty scarce. Bryan had a couple decent rifles in Kyrgyzstan but I'm happy I took my own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, what kind of rifle did they offer you? Benelli or russian rifles?

info@worldwidesafaris.net
Tel:+99 450 3656045
+99 455 3656045
Fax:+99 412 4189495

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about Kyrgyzstan via Moscow from Toronto ?

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emil, I used an old Russian make.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kestrel:
What about Kyrgyzstan via Moscow from Toronto ?

If you are flying with a rifle, I'd look at going through Istanbul.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, Peter, I understood. I could organize you Benelli rifle but I think it is too late.

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I will be bringing my rifle was told by travel agent my baggage was checked through to Bishkek. I would think many hunters going Bear hunting would be going through Moscow

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is too late ha. I missed an estimated 36 incher. Still got a good tur though. Not sure if it's your first trip or anything, but make sure to check the destination on the tags that the airport's staff puts on. I've had mine going to other cities or countries until I looked.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be my first trip to Asia but have been to Africa twice. I went via Frankfurt which was the recommended route and had firearm problems both times. I just go with the attitude that there will be challenges.

posted Hide Post
I would use Turkish Airlines deftly. Just came back from Azerbaijan hunt.

Natalia Beck
Central Asian Hunting Club Kyrgyzstan
Beck's Hunting Spain
e-mail: natalia@beckshunting.com

Posts: 17 | Location: Madrid, Bishkek | Registered: 28 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked with Mirbala and he has 2 30 06 bennelli rifles I could use for my friend and I. I am thinking this might be the best way to go.

I am going through Frankfurt on the way there and on the way home I stop in Istanbull for 10 days which adds more paperwork and gun storage BS. I imagine a Benneli rifle is a decent gun and was told they shoot well. What kind of distances are you guys killing your Tur at?

posted Hide Post
depends on moment, hunting area and time you of there. But normally 250-350 m.

Natalia Beck
Central Asian Hunting Club Kyrgyzstan
Beck's Hunting Spain
e-mail: natalia@beckshunting.com

Posts: 17 | Location: Madrid, Bishkek | Registered: 28 January 2013Reply With Quote