New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kyrgyzstan Travel Info Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an upcoming Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan and my return flight was cancelled. Due to me upgrading an economy ticket to business Turkish airlines has been a huge pain in the rear to get a return flight. As of now, I'm still working the flight home, it appears I will have to spend an extra day in Bishkek before returning home. Does anyone have suggestions on things to see or places to visit since I'll have the time on my hands?

The bigger question I have is I will be returning thru Istanbul and will have a 24 hour layover there. Turkish airlines does have a great program that puts me up in a hotel and offers a tour of the city for free. My concern is I'll have my rifle and hopefully an Ibex skull and horns. Does anyone know if this will be a problem while in Turkey? I'm guessing I can have the airlines keep all my luggage as checked baggage and not even have to pick it up while I transition thru. Someone told me you have to get special paperwork to transport the rifle but can't find any info on that. I don't want to take the rifle with me to the hotel but want to get my ducks in a row if I have to.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike

Posts: 51 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently spent the night in Istanbul on the way back from Ulan Bator.. I was flying Turkish and did not claim my bags/firearm, i.e. they were tagged through to Houston. No problems. I was flying business class and my bags and firearm was tagged "Priority Handling", whatever that means.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would try to do what you are doing without a travel agent.

We used TWS to get us to and from Bishkek via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines.

We stayed for a couple of days in Istanbul and the airline kept my rifle and ammunition. Istanbul is full of history, amazing architecture and is a great, world-class city.

TWS took care of all of the notices and paperwork, so I didn't have to think about it.

As for Bishkek, it is a drab and grim place. Full of dour people and horrible Soviet architecture. We could not get out of there fast enough.

The Tien Shan mountains, on the other hand, were both beautiful and formidable. Literally (because of the altitude) and figuratively breath-taking.

Good luck.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise from Michael. My travel was handled by Swawn Kennedy at Gracey Travel.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote