New
Find
Notify
Tools

"pick up heads"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am watching Jack Brittingham's argali video and have also been reading alot about pick up horns. Are argali pick up heads allowed to come back to the US with the hunter? If I were to hunt ibex would I be allowed to bring back an argali set of horns?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Yes you would if you paid for an Argali hunting liscense.

So those pick up heads will only cost $50,000 for an Ammon and $35,000 for a Darwini.

Not too bad for a pick up head eh?

Seriously though they quit letting people do it without a hunting liscense.

And if you did pay for a Ammon or Darwini hunting liscense you would still be only allowed to bring the one you killed.

Kind of not worth it.

There are reproduction Ammon and Marco Polo argali heads available for about $2750 on Skulls Unlimited.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was afraid that was the case. It seems like they used to let hunters bring back pick up heads...at least it reads that way in the books. It was too much to hope that I could hunt ibex and get a pick up head too!

I will check out the repro heads. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon i have 2 amon pick ups 58 inches and 61 inches wanted to gift one of my friend in us but they didnt allow if u can find way i present u one free,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a generous offer but I don't think it's possible. If it is, I would appreciate knowing how it's done. Thanks.

Where are you located?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon im at pakistan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Markhor but I don't know how to get that from you. Any chance you could show a photo just for kicks? I love seeing these pick up heads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon i dont know how to post here but i did posted on www.photobucket.com and the password is. akbars photo quality is not that good as taken from my cell phone,regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry i forgot to write login its, toffey password is, akbars

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Here they are...

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Markhor

Nice pick up heads. Are they from Wakhan.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aziz yes i was hunting with jalal at sust for himmalyan ibex when someone came with 2 shoulder mounts but since they were found for over 10 days,i dont know exactly how they died cause there was so many stories as u know , the skins gone bad and the mouths were open wide so i decided to make them skull mounts they r now on the wooden block,regards

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Markhor nice pickup heads. One of my friend went into Wakhan corridor about 10 years ago, he showed me a photo of a village where they had a pile of such pickup heads next to a yurt. I will try to get photos of that trip from him and will post them.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ahmed one of my friend from kar went there aswell ten years ago on a yak ride for 3 days during his journey he saw some exceptional ibex trophies there,i suppose ur friend must have gone to some afridi tribe they arrange sheep hunting there,but the journey is very tiring and one of these days due to afghan war its dangerous to go there i guess,but ur sheep is superb,wish to see the trophie mount if u can post,and what u recon for a good taxidermist in kar after qazalbash,regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't help but jump in here and say what a gracious and wonderful offer you have made, Markhor. You must be a truly fine gentleman.

Yukon. If I were you, I'd be on the phone to USFW full time, trying to figure this one out.

Again, very nice, Markhor.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was indeed quite generous but my understanding is that importation requires a permit and if I had the permit it would be used on a hunt.

They used to allow pickup heads without permits but have changed that. I wish that wasn't the case.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Someone on ebay is selling reproduction ibex trophies. Do a search and take a look not a bad looking skull.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you mean argali or ibex? You know we can get an ibex on our own 2 feet my friend. The argali is the tough one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon what about sindh ibex?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you asking if it can be imported into the US? I'm not sure what the USFWS regulations are regarding Pakistani trophies but that's another one I would like to have.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Weather you could import a Sindh ibex trophy right now or not via the USFS isn't the problem. We have an embargo on Pakistani goods right now, this would include trophy animals.

Unless I am unaware of a change.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Could be I am unaware of a lot of things, but I will be the first to admit it!

Sindh ibex live in Beluch as it is my understanding, I probably wouldn't want to travel there right now anyway as all the social upheavel that is happening in Pakistan right now anyway.

It's not the Pakistan my Mother and Grand Parents lived in, in the 1960s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon yes i have 3 sets one shoulder sindh ibex cape which im planning a shoulder mount 41 inches other 2 r 40 and 41,c what u can do about them,i can spear 1 for u free,my regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99 sindh ibex is located in sindh and baluchistan,one which is near karachi is safe and around 70 miles from karachi,u wont find sindh ibex any where else then there,its not even in a zoo cause they dont survive i tried for captive breeding but it didnt last, and if u know someone influntial person its as safe as any where in the world, if u need any help regarding this i would love to assist u.regards

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
That is what I had thought. Beluchistan, Beluch, and so on. Occasionally I am correct! Big Grin

I once had a vhs with Andy Samuels hunting Sindh Ibex and Blanford Urial.