Find
Notify
Tools

Cuba
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

We just got back from our annual break from the cold and started looking into next year's trip. Cuba is on the menu and our early searching shows that some bird hunting could be available. Now this would be a family vacation, but both my wife and I would like to squeeze in a bit of hunting if possible. Could anyone direct me to place where I could learn the basics (seasons, species etc)? Finally, if you could only do one hunt in Cuba, what, where and when would you chose?

Thanks,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Call Ron Thistlethwaite at 306-778-2348 he books for a Cuban duck hunting club, Ron is based out of Canada.

Take lots of pics and good luck.

They primarily shoot a lot of Blue-wing Teal.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the contact, I will give him a call. If teal are the main species, this could turn into a real conservation shoot. I seem to spend more time shooting at teal than actually shooting them Smiler.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Looked into doing this trip this past winter but got too busy. Here is what I learned:

Thistlethwaite is retired from the business although his website was still up a few months ago.

His contact in Cuba was:

Rodobaldo Hernández Acosta
Dir. Ecotur Centro
Agencia de Viajes Ecotur S.A.
Telef: 053-41-554930
www.ecoturcuba.co.cu

You can contact him directly to arrange a trip. His English is good. I think he represents an official tourism entity for one province or region. There are probably other such entities handling hunting in other provinces but the I could not find any contacts in English. I did get the impression that a lot of the shooting guests are Spaniards and that there hasn't been much effort to make the English speaking market aware of the opportunities.

The shooting in the region mentioned above is for snipe, dove, quail, and duck.

Dave

Posts: 1 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doggone it, you Canadian guys seem to have Cuba all to yourselves. I was watching a show on bonefish and tarpon opportunities in Cuba, and the anglers were Canadians.
We Americans have to deal with this stupid embargo that goes back to the Eisenhower administration ...

Mad

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote