Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cutting off fixed choke
 Login/Join

posted
I have a S&W 12g auto with a fixed full choke that is sitting in my safe. I was thinking about cutting off 4-6" [28" barrel]. I will be using the gun for dove and quail. I assume I'll have a cylinder choke that should be deadly out to 20-25 yds.

The gun only shoots 2 3/4" shells and I have 3 other shot guns that cover my duck / turkey / skeet options. Replacemnt barrels and adding a new removable choke system will cost more than what I paid for the gun.

What are you opions? Should a saw it off or leave it in the safe?

Posts: 6 | Location: THEWOODLANDS, TEXAS | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could have choke tubes installed most likely and have a good gun. It can be done fairly cheaply. I would not cut off the chokes, you end up with a short whippy barrel and there is no going back.

You can also have the chokes opened up to somethgn like Improved cylinder or light modified also and still retain the barrel length (a good thing).

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would cut it either as my first choice. If the full choke produces dense and evenly distributed patterns I might keep that for turkey hunting and get a second barrel with an I/C choke if one can be found and the cost is low. If that isn't an option I'd have a competent gunsmith install tubes. Do you like the way the gun balances now? If you do leave the length alone. A repeater with a barrel that long is more muzzle heavy than I like for an everyday all around bird gun. If you'd like to move the balance point a little taking off 1"-2" would probably change the feel and when the tubes are installed would be the time to have that done too.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A competent gunsmith would be able to ream that barrel for 50 or 75 bucks. Cutting the barrel would ruin the dynamics, as was stated.

Alternatively, you may be able to find a replacement barrel with chokes already installed. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't cut it! Either have it opened up to a modified, or have the thin wall choke tube job done is the way I would go, with my preference being the choke tubes.

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote