THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Himalayan snowcock (tetraogallus himalayensis)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Himalayan snowcock (tetraogallus himalayensis)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Who has hunted these in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada? Tell us.

The Himalayan Snowcock (Tetraogallus himalayensis) is a snowcock in the pheasant family Phasianidae of the order Galliformes, gallinaceous birds.

It is endemic to the Himalayan Mountains, where it breeds at altitudes from 3600-5100 m on bare stony mountains. It nests in a bare ground scrape and lays typically 5-10 eggs, which are incubated only by the female. Both parents raise the young. Its food is seeds and vegetable matter. Himalayan Snowcock fly downslope in the morning and feed as they walk uphill as the day wears on. It forms small flocks when not breeding.

This is a 54-72 cm long bird. Its plumage is patterned with grey, brown, white and black, but this snowcock looks grey from any distance. The breast is pale with horizontal blackish streaking. This bird has a thin brown collar at the base of its white throat.

Himalayan Snowcocks have been introduced to the Ruby Mountains of northeastern Nevada in the United States where a small sustaining population of approximately 250-500 birds exists.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but wow! Love to hear more.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
After a bit of digging...

http://www.geocities.com/bilnv/himalayan/snowcock.html

http://www.ndow.org/about/news/pr/073107_altitude_hunt.shtm

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I dont know anything about that bird ,it would ne intersting to grew up the number of them with a good protection program .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am considering going before I am not as fit as I am now! LOL

Juan--How are your mountains? They like tall open ground. Amazing and large bird.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
333, thats my home territory, pretty much staight up and down, and not many roads. Never hunted them, saw a few while deer hunting, though. Plan on snow after mid sept. Might want to try chukar around winnemucca or carlin first, then check out rubies. As a bonus, the rubies have grouse also.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
we do chukar, and grouse here now. What species of grouse do the Ruby mtns have.....blue or ruffed? We have both, but fewer ruffed and isolated.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Capercaille.

Pretty bird indeed

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote