Find
Notify
Tools

Despite poor reports...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
...there are still lots of pheasants in South Dakota. I hunted with several of my friends who came from NJ, AK, WA, ID. We meet each season for 10 days. This year it was so good I had to go back for another 5 days. We had to work for the birds but they were there. I love the Dakotas in the fall.
This is a 100+ year old barn with some character. The nostalgia of old barns and homesteads are very interesting to me.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those aren't poor results! I think the reason we saw fewer birds last year than expected is because we got there the very tail end of the season. We had zero trouble finding hens.....20 for every rooster we saw.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull dogs and shotguns ,a good taste and in all the photos .
Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thank you for sharing.

I'm with you about the nostalgia of old home and farming sites. I've seen some great ones here in the US, and others in Namibia and Argentina that date back to the 1800s. Pretty cool.

What is the SxS in the photos?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Well done, as you found out, the birds are there if you are willing to look for them!

I also love the old circular barn, would be great to restore it or at least fix it up
so it doesn't fall apart? Probably doesn't get used
at all anymore.

Like Juan said, "beautiful dogs & shotguns", but what's with the autoloader? Wink

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, after taking a 92 lb Elephant, how can you get excited hunting Pleasants? :-)

I know, whole different deal. You arm yourself for birds like I do, a classic old SxS, in my case a Charles Osborne 12ga 2 1/2" boxlock. Hey, between the GWP, Brittanies, and Labs, which did you think was the most effective out there?

Jon

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bobby, after taking a 92 lb Elephant, how can you get excited hunting Pleasants? :-)

I know, whole different deal. You arm yourself for birds like I do, a classic old SxS, in my case a Charles Osborne 12ga 2 1/2" boxlock. Hey, between the GWP, Brittanies, and Labs, which did you think was the most effective out there?

Jon

I love to hunt no matter what or where. Bird hunting is a passion because I love the dogs, guns, whistles, country, walking, et al. Elephants, buffs, etc. are bonuses in a good life.

This shotgun is a 1912 Charles Daly 16ga. I love old Lindner guns.

I've owned many dogs. Each has it's place. Labs will do it all. I love shooting birds over point. I have these in photos plus two setters. Glad I don't have to choose just one breed.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote