New
Find
Notify
Tools

AZ quail
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Didn't really focus on them but managed to kill a few Gambel's......would have loved to chase the other species but didn't have time or a dog.....next time with a guide and a dog though. Managed a decent javelina boar too.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice photos, well done.

I would love to hunt quail in AZ. I keep telling myself one year I will drive down from here in Idaho. You actually got off your but and did it. Congrats!

I shoot Californians here in Idaho. A much better selection of quail in AZ.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,

Been thinking of doing the same. Would love to get my Small Munsterlander on some Gambles, only shot a couple when I lived in Salmon. Want to car pool?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,

I would love to go. I am in Idaho County. We could meet up in Boise and leave one rig at a friends. I am waiting on a new dog and then I am going. I just can't decide on buying a trained dog or a pup. I am looking at either a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon or a Drahthaar if I go the puppy route. Flying B sells trained dogs but usually only English Pointers or German Shorthairs. I want a tight working dog rather than a long/medium range one.

As a certifiable dog nut I have to admit I have never hunted with either size of Munsterlander and know very little about them. (I need to learn, obviously).

SG

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Wow....pretty birds. The plumes on their heads are absolutely gorgeous !!! Great pics !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Collector:

Remember when they used to be around here.

God, they tasted great!

Nice brace Norton.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,

Now I have heard stories about wild Bobwhite quail in PA back in the days but I believe Gambel are only found in the South-West. The only place I have ever shot them myself was in Sinaloa Mexico. They love the desert environment. I will try to put together a post for all quail species.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Collector:

You are right, Bobwhite not Gambel.

The last time that I shot Bobwhite quail in the wild in Pennsylvania was in Blue March in northern Berks county, before they filled in the lake. I think it was 1977-1978.

Now no pheasants either.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy gents.. Although it was a piss poor season out here (season ends today) with the lowest bird numbers in YEARS (record draught), the pups and I still managed to scratch down a few birds when we made it out..
Here's a few pics from throughout the course of the season.

We've had some super winter rains these last few weeks, so that should really help out the gambles and scalies. Let it continue up until monsoons arrive so the Mearns can recoup as well.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Great pics!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy,

Beautiful pics....love them Mearns.

P.S. What kind of O/U is that with case-hardened sideplates ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collector,

The O/U is actually an Abercrombie and Fitch..serial number dates it to 1961. Helluva nice gun that shoots wherever I point it!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff......wish I came across a few of those Mearn's. Love those rolling, high-grass fields.......

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 8gauge
posted Hide Post
was down in az this winter had fun, shot a few mearns and gambles. most amazing place where the mearns live, reminded me of kansas.

Posts: 30 | Location: WI | Registered: 11 February 2010Reply With Quote