THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Dog Training information (DVD's, books, etc) needed

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Training information (DVD's, books, etc) needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for as much information on training a puppy (likely a lab) for hunting both upland and waterfowl birds.

I've never trained a dog for hunting and I want to do it right when I take the plunge.

I hunted with my friend and his yellow lab "Quack". It was fantastic working with a well trained and eager to please dog.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Have you got any information on this. I am looking for similar info to train my yellow lab pup who is now 16 weeks old.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11015 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolters goes into training starting at 5 weeks. Checkout water dog and bird dog. There are quite a few other training books that go into this subject as well

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MTHntr,
I was in your shoes 13 years ago. The Wolters books and videos are a good place to start and I have a various mix of them. However, when you get started at this and are seeing some success,and really get sucked in, there is no substitute for the Mike Lardy videos/dvd's. They are pricey, but well worth the money!!!!!! He knows what he's talking about, he's won the National Retriever Championship a record seven times. I started just wanting to have one good hunting dog in my life and now run AKC hunt tests and field trials as a hobby. There are many other organizations as well that offer venues for the retriever enthusiast. Even if you are only interested in making a good hunting dog there are many field trial training methods and principles that will only serve to help you and your new friend be as successfull as possible. I also suggest taking a look at the Retriever Journal, a bi-monthly publication that is chock full of good information. I've even got my mother-in-law giving me a subscription for Chrismas every year now.

If I can help you further just PM me and I am happy to pass on what I know.

375er

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote