New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI donated hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a four day high volume dove hunt in Argentina at a local SCI fundraiser. The outfitter insists that we upgrade the hunt for additional fees. The outfitter will not book the hunt without the upgrade. I have called the local chapter to complain but have not heard a reply. This is the first donated hunt I have bought from SCI. Anyone have any experience with this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing! (not really) I don't know what your legal position is, but I'd consider filing suit if the outfitter is in the US and I/we would love to know his name to be sure we don't ever use the no good SOB.

I don't think I'd pay it if it was me, but I guess, if I was in your shoes, I'd weigh what I paid, against the cost of the upgrade against the actual REAL value of what you get. Don't forget to ask what they charge for shells. Sounds like a complete rip-off outfit to me, I'd be very reluctant to go forward.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope all of these organizations we pay good money to be members of are lobbying hard for our rights......because any time I've tried to contact someone for some help I come up empty. I tried to contact local members of both DU and Delta prior to a recent trip and came up with disconnected numbers and unreturned messages left.

My buddy and his entire family are lifetime SCI members and I asked if he could call a local chapter for help.......total waste of time and effort.

I'm sure there have been instances where this wasn't the case(I'd certainly help out a fellow DU or Delta member....or AR member for that matter if one contacted me).

Bottom line: that sucks that this happened to you and would reinforce my understanding to be VERY wary when purchasing "donated" hunts.

Please let us know names and the final outcome, good or bad.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our chapter in our Banquet the Program for each Nights Auction spells out all the in and outs of each hunt that is up for Auction.
It tells if it has a reserve , what it cost extra and all so the up grades if any.
Our was this weekend , hunts went too high for me.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a trip to Spain at a fundraiser. As soon as I contacted the outfitter, he pressed me to upgrade. I said F it and booked with someone else. I never mentioned it to anyone. Not worth the effort.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ours did also. It states hunt CAN be upgrade NOT MUST be upgraded. Transportation costs have gone from $450 in the auction to 500 now she will email me the new rate due to exchange rate which have not changed much.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Ouch....chances are they going to nickel and dime you to death while you are on the hunt. Watch out for "unexpected" costs, license fees, etc.

Quite possibly the "donation" was under pressure and now they are trying to get the money out of you.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your chapter has the money, or a large chunk of it. I'd go see them first...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
All conditions of the donation should have been disclosed in the item discription before you bought the hunt. Some donations do require some type upgrade and some do not. Those that do not require an upgrade frequently do a 50/50 or 70/30 split with the chapter. The outfitter has to make a dollar somewhere to stay in business. It works well as a fundraising item for the chapter. But all conditions must be spelled out so you know what you are buying. If the upgrade was not disclosed in the hunt discription, you should ask your local chapter for a refund and cancel the hunt. If the upgrade was disclosed, it becomes your responsibilty.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chapter is as mad as I am. The donor is not honoring the donation so the chapter is looking at other outfitters. Barring that they will refund the money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
The chapter is as mad as I am. The donor is not honoring the donation so the chapter is looking at other outfitters. Barring that they will refund the money.

name the names. Out this clown!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
quote:

name the names. Out this clown!

I agree. Not sure in this instance I see the value of not putting the name out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just one example and I'm not picking on the poster, but this kind of thing really pisses me off. Why shouldn't the outfitter be named so the rest of us can avoid him like the plague?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
This is just one example and I'm not picking on the poster, but this kind of thing really pisses me off. Why shouldn't the outfitter be named so the rest of us can avoid him like the plague?

Agree 100%!

This outfitter should be named and shamed.

Personally, I would try to get a refund from the Chapter. Under no circumstances I am going to hunt with this lot!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outfitter was Miguel Medus of Argentina Wild Wingshooting. After promising a refund the chapter have been silent in communicating with me. I am disputing the charges with my CC company. The donation was a 70/30 split with the chapter. I don't think this is isolated. I bought another hunt,in Bavaria, at the same auction and guess what, these guys are pushing upgrades as well.

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Here's his donated hunt to the AZ Deer Assn:
quote:
Argentina Bird Hunt Extravaganza

Donor: Miguel Medus, Argentina Wild Wing Shooting

Phone: (011) 54-3327-481-383 Fax: (011) 54-3327-480-092 Mobile: (011) 54-9-3-44-620-641

Number of Hunters: Five (5)

Description of Hunt: This is a four day hunt for five hunters in Argentina just a couple of hours from Buenos Aires across the Parana River in the Estancias Region. Accommodations will be one of four ranches, depending on the best area for shooting conditions, which is fully staffed and ready to serve your group. This is a high volume hunt with spectacular landscape surroundings and incredible gourmet meals. Hunters agree to upgrade hunt to include ducks at $500/day/hunter which are hunted in the morning with the wood pigeon and dove hunts in the afternoon. Non-hunters may be added at $400/day.

Dates of Hunt: September 2009 – February 2010

Hunt Includes: This hunt includes all guiding, bird retrieval, full lodging, board and soft drinks.

Hunt Does Not Include: Transfers to and from the Buenos Aires airport, gun permits, ammunition and gun rentals (if required), hunting licenses, all associated taxidermy costs, gratuities and alcoholic beverages are not included.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
Here's his donated hunt to the AZ Deer Assn:
quote:
Argentina Bird Hunt Extravaganza

Donor: Miguel Medus, Argentina Wild Wing Shooting

Phone: (011) 54-3327-481-383 Fax: (011) 54-3327-480-092 Mobile: (011) 54-9-3-44-620-641

Number of Hunters: Five (5)

Description of Hunt: This is a four day hunt for five hunters in Argentina just a couple of hours from Buenos Aires across the Parana River in the Estancias Region. Accommodations will be one of four ranches, depending on the best area for shooting conditions, which is fully staffed and ready to serve your group. This is a high volume hunt with spectacular landscape surroundings and incredible gourmet meals. Hunters agree to upgrade hunt to include ducks at $500/day/hunter which are hunted in the morning with the wood pigeon and dove hunts in the afternoon. Non-hunters may be added at $400/day.

Dates of Hunt: September 2009 – February 2010

Hunt Includes: This hunt includes all guiding, bird retrieval, full lodging, board and soft drinks.

Hunt Does Not Include: Transfers to and from the Buenos Aires airport, gun permits, ammunition and gun rentals (if required), hunting licenses, all associated taxidermy costs, gratuities and alcoholic beverages are not included.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The auction that ran locally did not include an agreement to upgrade. I avoided those items b/c I did not see the value in it. This was item was for a straight up dove hunt with an option to upgrade. He wanted $900/day/hunter to upgrade to perdiz which to me is totally out of line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the ad for the item. Note, hunt CAN be upgraded not MUST

Argentina Wild Wing Shooting – 4 Days / 4 Hunters High Volume Dove Hunt – Includes lodging in ranch house and meals. Hunt can be upgraded for Water Buffalo, Russian Wild Boar, Axis Deer or Four Horn Ram as per the pricelist. Excludes license of $100, gun permit of $110, $450 round trip for group transportation fee. www.argentinawildwingshooting.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This kind of thing is exactly why I rarely buy an auction hunt.

Not all are bad and not all are like this. There are 2 companies that I have bought auction hunts with that treated me right and I have gone back on multiple hunts with them.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hunters agree to upgrade hunt to include ducks at $500/day/hunter"

"Hunt can be upgraded for Water Buffalo, Russian Wild Boar, Axis Deer or Four Horn Ram as per the pricelist"

Well..........which is the truth? If I'm not mistaken, this appears to be a case of "3 sides to every story".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geesh Norton, it's two different ads in two different locations.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The outfitter was Miguel Medus of Argentina Wild Wingshooting. After promising a refund the chapter have been silent in communicating with me. I am disputing the charges with my CC company. The donation was a 70/30 split with the chapter. I don't think this is isolated. I bought another hunt,in Bavaria, at the same auction and guess what, these guys are pushing upgrades as well.

txlonghorn:

I and, I'm sure, other hunters on here appreciate your posting the outfitter's name. I'll be sure to add him to my personal "avoid at all costs" list. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Geesh Norton, it's two different ads in two different locations.

Yeah, they looked different.....I'm inclined to believe txlonghorn though. You know me, I like to be Diablo's advocate sometimes. Big Grin

Didn't mean to discourage him from posting.....I agree we should always post experiences with outfitters.....both good and bad......and provide names.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've added Argentina Wild Wing Shooting to my list of DO NOT USE hunt purveyors.

The local SCI chapters really ought to be a bit more discriminating regarding who they accept donations from. Donors who don't honor the terms of their donation should be banned from exhibiting at all SCI venues and their donations should not be accepted.

For instance there is one safari operator who gives quite a few donations. If you look at the listed trophy fees, they're a LOT more than those listed for the vast majority of other operators. I visited their booth in Reno and listened to their speal. If I booked with them there were all sorts of discounts which brought the trophy fees down to what everyone else was charging. In short, their "donations" really aren't donations at all since they are making it all up in inflated trophy fees.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I have learned my lesson as well. This is the first SCI auction I have been to. I avoided the items that required an upgrade and thought I excercised my due diligence but I suspect that the majority of the "donated" hunts want some sort of overpriced "upgrade" or "trophy" fees.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
over the last 15 plus years i have bought 18-20 donated hunts and fishing trips at SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF , etc. banquets and never been pressured much less required to upgrade any of them. savings overall would be at least $25-30,000. i guess i lead a charmed life. leaving Sat on a fishing trip to Costa Rica that i bought at this year's SCI convention auction for $1700 off regular price. bought the same trip 3 years ago at the auction for $2200 off retail. don't get soured on the concept because of 1 bad experience.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13162 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a number of hunts and fishing trips from a number of fundraising organizations including SCI chapters as well at the SCI convention in Reno. I have had very good experiences with these purchases.

I believe a quality fundraising organization will take care of the buyer where a donor does not honor their donation in good faith.

It does pay to do your research before the auction. Wherever possible I will contact the donor to clarify the donation specifics and conditions to be sure there are no surprises. I check references just as if I was buying the hunt direct. Be an informed buyer.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunt was "donated". Your local chapter has your money, or most of it.
Have an attorney contact them with a friendly suggestion that they take care of you.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have refunded the price of the hunt saying the donor misrepresented the hunt.