I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Blind? That ain't a blind. Compared to what I gun out of, it's a bloody condo, for Cripe's sake! That's a compliment, by the way. Smiler

Nice, Palmer. You guys do like your creature comforts though, I see. Nuttin' wrong with that.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Kamo,

Our blind once was judged as one of the top ten blinds in the US as published by DU magazine in a contest they had. One of my hunting buddies submitted it just for kicks. There must not have been much interest in the contest because there has to be a lot of blinds much better than this one.

The funny thing about it all is that it really isn't that good a spot for the ducks. I guess it is true that beauty can be skin deep.

Here is the outside of it:

There are usually about 4 days a year that its worth going to. It has to be below 15 degrees for at least 3 days (the water ices over right up to the blind but not where the decoys are), low clouds and wind out of the SW.

If we have all that, the ducks are right in front of us. They are usually less than 15 yards out and most of them die of shock once they realize we completely missed them at 10 yards with wings set.

If we do not have those weather conditions then its a comfortable place for us old farts to smoke cigars and tell our stale jokes to any unfortunate guest who hasn't been in the blind before.

Our boat slips under the blind. We usually have a young buck or two to let us off on the dog platform and then the youngsters can crawl out from under the blind as well as retreive any duck that the dog of the day refuses to go for. We figure these youngsters must learn by doing and we have already learned so they must do the doing.

The dog is most often in shock himself when we hit something to the extent that he forgets where it fell. If one does not fall (a far too frequent condition) he is dog laughing so hard that he rolls off into the cold water and then climbs into the blind to share it with the rest of us.

There are cattle in the pasture and the water takes on the cows odor since the pastures drain into the slough. So when dog approaches with intent of wetting us down even the oldest of us (me) can evacuate the blind like I had a bottle rocket go off in my pants. We have a bridge connecting to the land just for that purpose - well, that purpose as well as relieving ourselves of the copious amounts of coffee consumed while waiting for theoretical flights of ducks that will come the minute we lay down the shotgun and unzip.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
That look's great.

I end up freelancing mostly; hide under a tree or behind brush on little ponds. One of these days I hope to own/lease a place where I can build a blind like that.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote