THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    shotgun quality question...which to keep?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shotgun quality question...which to keep?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
which is a "better" gun

Winchester model 50 or a winchester model 1400--both 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge's

Remington 1100 or remington sportsman 58--both 2 3/4 inch 20 gauges

I can only keep one 12 and one 20-so putting condition aside rigth now-lets assume both are NIB just for argument sake, which would y'all choose? and why?

Thank you

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which one fits you best and / or which one do you shoot best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Between the Winchesters it would be the Model 50. Reason is that my first 12 was/is one of them and I've shot a gazoogle of game with it. I have a 28" FC barrel and a 26" IC which gets the nod for birds. It fits me and NEVER malfunctions, neither of which is the case for the 1400. And yes, I've used the 1400 as well...then it was sold...quickly. Once ran 30 quail straight with the 50...

As to the Remmys, . I am not a big fan of the 1100, not familiar with the other. I do like the 20 though, and alternate between an Ithaca 37 and Beretta 390 depending on application. I hunt with the Ithaca, do clays with the Beretta. A little shopping will put you on an Ithaca for $200-250 in top condition, about the same for the Model 50.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I dunno Dan, I have a 1400 and I like it just fine.

HTRN

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must be a bit shorter than me. I know my sample of one does not tell all except for fit. I'd imagine most function okay, mine did not. I thought the balance was a bit forward for my taste as well. JMO

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank y'all for the replies-I have decided to keep the model 50 and the remington model 58-the 58 is just a little "different" and not everone has one.

So if y'all know anyone looking for a 1100-comes with a mod and a full choke barrel send them my way...

dave