THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Hevi Metal vs Black Cloud vs Hevi Steel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hevi Metal vs Black Cloud vs Hevi Steel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay so I rarely advocate the use of "Premium" ammo but after bad experiences with standard steel load (mostly being very finicky with choke combos). I switched to Black Clouds for ducks after having excellent results on geese. Last week I had 3 rounds that were nearly impossible to eject out of my DU 870 (turns out this is very common)

Now I'm out of duck ammo (something I didn't expect) with 4 weeks left in the season. Being all priced at about $17-19 per box, which would you choose (personal experience is very important)?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that I've tried Winchester Xpert, Winchester Supreme, and some old Federal Tungsten (my personal best performer, but too expensive). Most weren't what I wanted with some being pretty pricey.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to trying something else before the end of the season.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a case of 3" #3 Hevi-Metal for $189 delivered......seem to be pretty good. Still not sure I notice a difference. My bud(and others)swear by Estate for non-premium shells(they're made by Federal).

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me HeaviShot seems to hit a little harder than steel. No experience with Black Cloud. I have a bunch of steel to burn up, so it might be another year, before I buy anymore.
When I hunt the Chesapeak, my guide has me pick up a case or two of Kent Faststeel to bring along for him. It's all he uses, and it's pretty reasonably priced.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$189 shipped is a good price!

I'm looking at maybe buying one of the last cases of Hevi-steel. Cabelas has it on special for $190/case with a free shipping code. I just discovered that they discontinued Hevi-steel and replaced it Hevi-metal.

I think I'm gonna buy a box of Faststeel and try it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Roger's........Hevi-Metal 1500 fps 3" $179.99, 3 1/2" $199.99 DELIVERED.....beat that!
http://store.rogerssportinggoo...egories?sfs=325432ab

Question is.....is it worth it? Kent Fasteel 1625 fps is $181 delivered......and we all know SPEED KILLS!
http://store.rogerssportinggoo...egories?sfs=325432ab

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good price...just a few dollars per box more than plain jane stuff. I just don't see the need for 3.5's on ducks. Plus 1500fps is plenty fast.

What do you think #2 or #3? I don't have a preference (with shots at decoying up to 35 yard pass shots).

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a bit of HeviShot since it came onto the market and love it. I regard it as about the best stuff out there, though it's pricey.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
That's a good price...just a few dollars per box more than plain jane stuff. I just don't see the need for 3.5's on ducks. Plus 1500fps is plenty fast.

What do you think #2 or #3? I don't have a preference (with shots at decoying up to 35 yard pass shots).

Late season puddlers and divers I'd probably go with #2.......early and over decoys I use #3 or 4.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm looking at maybe buying one of the last cases of Hevi-steel. Cabelas has it on special for $190/case with a free shipping code. I just discovered that they discontinued Hevi-steel and replaced it Hevi-metal.

Not true about Fasteel, I just called Kent Cartridge and the Lady who answered the phone said "Heavens No!"

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:

Not true about Fasteel, I just called Kent Cartridge and the Lady who answered the phone said "Heavens No!"

? I'm not sure what you are referencing.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Well, as with most things, YMMV, but I've been killing birds with Estate 3" # 4s (1 3/8 oz loads) this season, with no complaints. I got them from Able, and they cost me $117 a case. No complaints so far, from woodies to geese (in pretty close for the honkers, I admit).

I was given a box of Black Cloud last year, and I will say that they had some pretty impressive impact power. One morning in particular I recall shooting at geese coming over our heads, and both I shot were bowled over, backflipping in the the air. But then, dead is dead.

Shoot 'em in the lips, kids.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see much need for the very expensive shot for shooting ducks or geese over decoys. I tend to use Federal 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz # 3 loads in the 12 gauge and in the 20 gauge 3" 1 oz loads of again #3 shot. Once, I took 19 decoying mallards with one 25 round box of 12 gauge 2 3/4 " 1 oz loads of federal steel 6s. I had 3 left over.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bad I read Hevi-steel as Fasteel Confused

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been experimenting lately, and Hevi-shot and its various incarnations don't seem to be worth the cash to me. It could have to do with choke or something, but with my IC out of my 870, I've had my best results with Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz. 2s and the same in Drylok. Fasteel is usually $12-16/box and Dryloks run a few dollars more, but both work really well. I've been really disappointed by Hevi-shot, with missed ducks at very reasonable ranges (15-30 yards). Last weekend, my GF, who had never killed a duck, flattened a redhead at 30 yards with Fasteel 2s, and I was left with an empty gun and no birds with Hevi shot 4s (from when they were all 12.7g/cc)

Also, I think environmetal is one of those companies that would be a personal injury attorney firm if it didn't make shot. They're advertising is just skeezy and misleading. This is my soap box moment.

Take home point: go buy some Fasteel

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a case of Faststeel #2 1-1/4 loads.

I was in Cabelas on the way home and I found some Hevi steel 3" #2's for just under $150/case (after $30 rebate). I really wanted to get this in #3's or 4's but they only had 2's and BB in stock.