Black Pheasant is this odd?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Has anyone seen a black Pheasant like this one? 2

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I think I have in a bird order mag for bird farms. There are a ton of diff. types of pheasant out there.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I have actually seen these birds on game farms and planted bird hunts but I have never seen one wild. maybe it got loose from a farm somewhere.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I was told by the place we get our pheasants to use on "hunts" the black pheasants are from a different area in China .
We bought a few last year , they seemed to be a little biger and stayed in brush more than normal upland cover.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some of the dark hens at a game farm a few weeks ago. We got 12 hens for $100 for working our young dogs and at least 5 of them were very dark. One or two were roosters. The guy who owns the place said he gets eggs that hatch them like that fairly often.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I've had my pheasants in now for 3 weeks and specifically asked for these. they are Melanistic, as a general term although they can be confused sometimes with the Japanese Greens, or the Blacknecks, (especially when crossed)

I've got 700 at mine and I do prefer them. they are a touch bigger and don't stray so much. Mainly I just like the look of them.

Both birds in the photo's are melanistic but they will cross wih straight ringnecks. The outcome can be some very beautiful birds.

I'll try and get some pictures of the poults this weekend and post them.

For what it's worth unless they are being driven I was told that they are a little lazier than regular ringnecks and so don't climb as drastically.

rgds,
FB
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This type of Pheasant is called Telebrosius in Europe, i've got them myself.

Posts: 1 | Location: Holland | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote