THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    The Quail are coming to town...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Quail are coming to town...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This time of the year I get unusually excited and restless. According to the authorities Quail hunting season begins 1 Sept and ends 31 September. The birds migrate South from Europe and North africa to breed. Sometimes the arrive quite late, November and even December. I usually load 200 rounds of 28gr #9's which is usually more than enough for two outings. The birds are not in huge numbers anymore. I remember as a kid my dad would fill a sack of birds with a short walk through the lucerne fields. These days if we shoot 10 birds each we consider ourselves very lucky. My 'eyes and ears' at the various farms where I shoot will fone me when the birds arrive, cant wait!!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What area do you hunt? I hunt the Alexandria/Port Alfred areas. Did you know that Nature Conservation changed the quail season to 1 May to 31 August in the Eastern Cape? Laughable! I am trying to get it back to 1-30 Sept or 15 Sept to 15 Oct. We are having an input day with Nature Conservation Mid September to discuss the hunting seasons for 2012 . Do you have any data / info to assist me in furthering the cause. Any additional info will be much appreciated. Do you think the numbers are declining? If so why?

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greywing, I hunt the Alexandria area and sometimes Grahamstown. Nature Conservation has no idea what they are doing. Often I have waited until late October and even November for the birds to arrive. Their numbers could be decreasing because the farmers in the Eastern Cape are not planting as much, if any grain crops as they did years ago. Wheat was very commonly planted but not so much anymore. Heavy rains, very wet fields are also not ideal for the birds to breed. I hope that helps.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks lal
How many birds would you flush on a typical day out?
I hunt Greywing partridge in the Graaff-Reinet area. I have never seen so many Quail while hunting Greywing like during this passed season. Normally you will see 1 or 2 pairs on a day if you lucky. This year my poiners pointed coveys of 6,8,10 quail at a time. Hope this is a good sign in terms of numbers to expect.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these migratory quail, couternic (sp) quail?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465 H&H, Common Quail, coturnix coturnix.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They tried introducing some of them in the state of Indiana in the 50's. They all showed up down in Louisiana some moths later.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H, I am definately not an expert but as I understand it, these birds have been domesticated and are the same birds one finds in restaurants etc. I bought a pair years ago and kept them in a cage in my spare room. One morning before sunrise the male started crowing and my dogs nearly had a fit! Definately startled me too! Very weird sound.