THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    What is considered a heavy load for a 16 ga?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is considered a heavy load for a 16 ga?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am posting in shotshell reloading as well as here, not sure where to find most informed responses. What constitutes a hot or heavy load? I have recently become reaquainted with my favorite 16ga Browning Sweet Sixteen. I am trying to determine when to switch the location of the brass friction ring and the spring to optimize performance. Are heavy loads those over 1oz or over 1200fps, or a combination thereof. I will be shooting both preWWII with 2-9/16 chambers and 2-3/4 chambers. Any advice will be most appreciated. I have had some custom printing done to the shorter chambered shells so as not to confuse them.
Thanks
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the standard hunting or field load for the 2 3/4" 16ga is 1 1/8oz so I would consider anything over that as a heavier load however the best way is to see how each load funcitons by testing the function with the friction rings in the various positions.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I believe the standard hunting or field load for the 2 3/4" 16ga is 1 1/8oz so I would consider anything over that as a heavier load however the best way is to see how each load funcitons by testing the function with the friction rings in the various positions.

Bill,

FYI,

The 1oz. 2 1/2 Dram load is the "normal" load. A 1 1/8oz. 3 1/4 Dram load (and up) is a heavy load in 16 gauge.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roi! I was partly correct with the 1oz idea. I have even run across a few 1 1/4 oz loads which I believe to be excessive and if I need that I'll switch to a 12 ga. My other question now is does velocity play a factor and if so what? I have seen lighter than 1oz loads moving around 1300fps or more. Should they be treated as "heavy" loads?
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, my rule of thumb for recoil shotguns is to try the rings in the "heavy load" position. If the load functions reliably leave it there. If not put the rings at the "light" setting. When I was a kid the 1-1/8 oz loads were the standard field loads.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:
Andy, my rule of thumb for recoil shotguns is to try the rings in the "heavy load" position. If the load functions reliably leave it there. If not put the rings at the "light" setting. When I was a kid the 1-1/8 oz loads were the standard field loads.

Not a bad idea with trying and see what works Big Grin

I was going by what I read on some older Remington shot shell boxs that call 1 1/8oz. 3 1/4dram loads a "Heavy Game Load".

1oz. at 1300fps is about 3 1/4 dram and I think I treat them as heavy. But again Gimpys test sounds like a good idea.

Too light a load just won't cycle the gun properly. Too heavy can damage the gun, especially if used frequently.

Better to be safe than sorry Wink

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 510! Recently I found a load from Federal that is incredible and hard to believe. 1 1/4 oz @1260(lead), also 15/16 steel @1350! Can you spell HOTTT!! If I need that much I'll break out the 12. I plan on using as often as possible the gentlemen's load in the perfect bore-1oz @ 1200. I have also found some 7/8 oz offerings from RST, that look like they'll be real cream-puffs to shoot.
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found through experience that in my guns, a 1 oz load at about 1200 fps pattens better and kills as well as anything else out there. And in addition, the recoil very agreeable, even in light guns. The Federal 1 oz load is great.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 1 oz loads in the 16. I have - I had, until I willed it to my grandson! - a 16ga Browning 3-shot and I reload most eveything shot through it but have had good luck with the Fiocchi Premium Target 16VIP, 16 Gauge, 2 3/4 in, 1 oz, 1300 fps, #7 1/2 or #8 Lead Shot.
You can buy these from AbleAmmo.com for about $8.50 per box so they won't run you broke shooting them. And I have not shot that many of them but Fiocchi also offers a "Golden Pheasant" and I certainly killed some pheasant very dead with them. Not sure but Able may also have them.
Best of luck with the old 16 bore - they deserve better than they have received.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote