THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    New 20ga autoloaders - Initial impressions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 20ga autoloaders - Initial impressions
 Login/Join

posted
As I mentioned in my "Barrel Length" post, I'm looking at new 20ga autoloaders after several years away from shotgunning. I would be looking at a 12ga except that my wife has shown some interest in "backyard" clay shooting and, truth be told, a 20ga will do everything that I need since I'm neither a turkey nor waterfowl hunter.

In any case, I had the opportunity to look at the Benelli Montefeltro, Browning Silver Lightening, and Remington 1100 this weekend (all new guns). Here are my initial impressions:

Benelli - Very smooth action. Nicely machined. Mediocre fit (I realize that this is adjustable with this gun). Very lightweight.

Browning - Very smooth action. Nicely machined. Mediocre fit.

Remington - Sticky action. So so machining. Best fit.

After this initial evaluation, my questions about these guns are these:

How do the light weight and "Inertia Driven" action of the Benelli effect recoil compared to the gas operated actions of the Browning and Remington?

How reliably will the Benelli cycle light 20ga target loads?

Should what I perceived as "stickiness" in the Remington's action be a concern after a good initial cleaning and lubrication and a bit of break-in?

Overall, for someone that is going to use the gun for 90% "backyard" clay shooting and 10% grouse hunting, which gun would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

I shoot a Benelli M2, 12 ga. because I am a wimp and do not like lots of recoil. The comfortech stock that they have is phenomenal. It is the least apparrent recoil for a 12 gauge that I have ever shot.

On the other hand, I have shot the Benelli and the Stoeger 2000 without the Comfortech stock. These rattle my teeth and I will not shoot one again, its not worth it to me.

As I recall, the Montefeltro does not incorporate the recoil reduction. I would suggest going for the Super Sport.

Jim B

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Beretta 391 and the 3901 before buying any of the others.

In 20 gauge they are very well balanced soft shooters, I have a couple that are my favorites.

And they are what I train chicks on and they love em'.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Benelli M1, but in 12ga. It will cycle anything in any order and in no tellin how many rounds, it has never failed to cycle. My 1100 12ga will cycle most everything to, but has given me problems on one particular brand of shell, which I think were Estates or something like that. I think the inertia action recoils a little more than a gas operated model of comparable weight, but that might just be me.

My father has a 1100 in 20ga. It is very finicky about the shells it will function with as well. It will not cycle any shell with less than 1oz. of shot. So those cheap Remington or Winchester game loads that have 7/8" oz. of shot are best left to the pumps and doubles.

I don't have any experience with the Browning Silver Lightning, and I love my 1100, but I would have to recommend the Benelli. I have never hunted grouse, but can imagine it's like quail hunting and involves a lot of walking, so the lighter the better to me. Good luck!!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The key to getting Benelli's (12ga or 20ga) to handle light loads is to follow the instructions which tell you to fire a couple of boxes of heavy loads to "break" the gun in -- after that light loads should cycle wito=hout any problems.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga and liked it very much. I sold it only because I prefer doubles. I have a Beretta 303 that will do everything I require of an auto loader. They are usually inexpensive on used racks and always work.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Benelli M2's in 20 and 12. I flat love the 20ga with 24" barrel. I installed a Briley LM choke and the little gun came to life for me. I don't know how many cases of shells I've put through the 20 the past year. It has seen action on dove, quail and pheasant. A pure pleasure to carry all day.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an M! 20 gauge that I hunt with alot. It is very nice to carry when walking all day. I bought a 20 gauge Montefeltro for my 9 yo daughter. I load her shells with 3/4 ounce and it cycles just fine.

AKA skeeter

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest that you look at the Beretta A391. I bought one for my daughter six years ago, and it has been a great gun for her.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
My son with his 1st Green Head and his Benelli Montefeltro that I bought for him whenhe was born, regularly takes rabbits, sharp tail, ruff & spruce grouse and even sandhill cranes with it

Once you shoot a Benelli, you'll never go back

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Beretta 391 in 20 ga. I love mine.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote