New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st hunt with 7 mo. old DD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First time out hunting with my pup. Three hard points, two retrieves. And a happy 5 yr old

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that first picture is great!!!

clap

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! My GWP can't wait for the 10/1 opener...I can see it in her eyes.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goldeneye

Yes, she is defiantly a hunter/ gatherer. Her mother, my ex, forbids me to take her hunting. I always though “forbid” meant long and often. I got a bit of flack about having a 5 yr old holding a gun. I don’t dare tell them she also shot it. I posted another picture below of her in the beaver pond. The black lab is 7 yrs, and sort of a rescue. 1st time out as well, and was not please with the long brown stick that made the noise.

Norton
Good luck with your GWP. All that I can say is trust your dog. Mine had only smelled doves, and wings that you buy at the sporting good store until yesterday.

Description
The first bird, she was just running around, splashing in the water, chasing chipmunks, little sparrows, and the black lab. And then all of a sudden she locked up. I thought there is no way she is on a bird. And where we were at the time I had never seen a grouse. Sure enough, she didn't budge and I walked up to her and there is was. When it flushed, she did the little bark thing like she was scared, but I shot once and she was right on top of it.

We hung out there for a minute with all the "atta girls", gave her a drink and a treat. let her smell the dead grouse. About 5 min later, I thought I would take her up where we flushed the bird and head up the hill a bit. She got a little birdy, then back-tracked down in the other direction, where we were just at. I couldn't see her, and started calling her. Ella, my 5 yr old said she is pointing. Sure enough, she had another pinned down in a pine tree. It flushed, I shot twice through the trees, but missed, she chased it a bit, for about 30 yards then came back.

Then back chasing chipmunks and sparrows like a little puppy for about 1/2 hour, no pointing at these just chasing as fast as she can. Then out of nowhere she is locked up, about 20 yards in front of me. I flushed the bird, shot twice and got it, Tai had it right when it hit the ground about 40 yds away, and brought it back.

I had a blast. Definitely not gun shy, and I am amazed that she could sense the difference between a sparrow and the grouse.”

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jackduckhunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice congrats and here's hoping you have many years of memories coming!

Captain Jack Renfrew
Coastline Guide Service
www.CoastlineGuideService.com

Posts: 110 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With Quote